I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cleaning Syringes
Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.151.248.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 07:07AM

Hello again,

Does anyone have an idea how to clean out the syringes. What solvent to use? I have a few sets of syringes that I have been using flex-coat rod finish in them and they are starting to get a little build up or thickening just on the inside of the end of the tube.

Thanks in advance,

Art
mrparramoure@yahoo.com

AKA: Fred Halfheimers, Norman Nesico, George Orwell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cleaning Syringes
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 07:14AM

Temps cooling is causing that. I pull the plunger out and wipe the "gum" off of it, put it ack in and suck up some Denatured (full syringe full) amd let it sit for a few minutes. Then I push it out into a cup, suck it back up, push it out until it's clean.

If they are that much of a mess, use new Syringes, they only cost $2

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 08:47AM

I never clean them. I leave them stuck in the caps and have been using this set for about 3 years now

Mike

Date: January 16, 2005 09:16AM

Mike - do you build rods constantly, or do you have them sitting there for a long period of time untouched? do you keep your epoxy in a controlled temperature? When I'm building and finishing rods daily, this rarely if ever happens, but when the epoxy sits there for a couple of months untouched, and the temp drops - the Resin will gum up inside the syrnges.

Posted by: Robert Huisman (---.cpe.ga.charter.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 06:56PM

If the epoxy has not hardened, white vinegar makes a good effective environmentally friendly CHEAP cleaner

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 08:58PM

Billy,

I wrap in a basement and the temp fluctuates. When I work, I usually turn on a space heater but otherwise it's pretty chilly. I usually nuke my finish because it gets so thick in the cool basement. I don't go months but sometimes I go couple weeks without using finish. I keep the syringes (I like the U-40 syringes because they DON't have the rubber plunger tip that always gets stuck)
I use the drilled out caps and just leave the syringes in them. I do draw the plungers about half way out though (don't know if that makes a difference.

How's the little yellow guy doin'??

Mike

Date: January 17, 2005 05:58AM

Yellow guy will be ready for Charlotte. He's all glued up, but I've been extremely busy trying to coordinate things & put stuff together, as well as prepare for the classes. I've got about 15 Inlays to do, and will do them all at once after I hop over to a friend's to use his Bandsaw.

I do the same thing, except the microwave because I havent done anything since October (until Saturday when I noticed the gum, lol). My opinion, and thi is based on nothing - is the air in teh syringe dries up the excess Resin/Hardener causing it to turn gummy. I've had it where when I mixed the 2 parts together, there were small white globs in teh cup prior to mixing - and upon further inspection - the nozzle of the Resin was gummed up with REsin. I had to pick it out with a Bodkin, then teh Denatured. I almost guarantee it's from leaving it there for a long time without using.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster