I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread color suggestions for dark green blank
Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 08:13PM

I've ordered a dark green IM6 blank from H&H for my 3rd project. Any ideas for thread color? I was thinking either dark green, black or garnet. What about using CP on darker colors such as dark green and black? Does it make much difference (the CP) on darker colors such as these?
thanks,
Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread color suggestions for dark green blank
Posted by: jim smith (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 08:28PM

I built several rods on dark green blanks and the color combination I like best is garnet thread with gold trim and no CP on the thread. The garnet turns VERY dark candy apple red and looks terrific.

Jim Smith

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 08:55PM

This on a green trout popping rod with small diameter. Spinning rod with gold ring guides.

Funny thing - I just finished one today for Dr. Green.

Underwrap. From end foregrip. 2" Dark Green Guidebod A - 4" Dark Green Sulky Metallic - 2.5"
Dark Green Guidebod A with a HT Metallic Green Double Strand Inlay to frame customers name- Three strand Guidebod Metallic Green trim band.

Four axis chevrons layed over underwrap on one inch centers. 2 Green HT Metallic, 2 White NCP, I Green/Gold Braid, 2 NCP White, 2 Green Metallic 6 Dark Green Guidebod A, 2 White NCP, 2 Green Metallic.

Add two more axis with Guidebod Green Metallic.

Tie Off 1/2" Dark Green Guidebod D

Guide and top wraps Guidebod Black A with three thread HT Metallic Green trim and single thread inlays.

Decals from Jimi - Name and Boat Name on tip end - Green Machine on butt end

About an hour after he picked it up he brought me three Loomis almost new and asked me to do them to match.

This one was fun for me - not Purple and Gold for LSU.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: January 15, 2005 08:57PM

Greg , I just got a few of those blanks that were on special from Bob myself . I finished up the handle on a 10'6" 6wt today, I'm going to use black with yellow trim bands . I use this combo on a green StCroix blanks from time to time and it looks sweet , the yellow trim makes the difference IMO. Have fun, John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 09:29PM

Bill,

Are you the one selling the purple blanks on @#$%&. I would have loved to have that 6' med.lt. to build for my wife (she loves purple). I just don't have the money. I bet they make great lookin' rods.

Bill in WV

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2005 09:30PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:05PM

Try Gudebrod Rust, without CP. Looks orange on the spool, but turns a deep, rich, warmbrown, with epoxy. Add gold trim.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:16PM

Bill,

How about a pix of that!! Really sounds sharp

Mike

Posted by: Glenn Swor (---.dckrsn01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 03:31PM

I'll throw one more at you. Rice Threads two-tone red/black (7832b). This trims well with silver or gold depending on the rest of your hardware. Also trims well with white and yellow if you want something a little louder. I've only used the CP version so I can't say what non CP looks like.

Glenn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster