I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steelhead switch rod
Posted by: Michael Stine (61.37.43.---)
Date: January 14, 2005 10:23AM

I've been planning on building an 8/9 wt for Great Lakes tributary steelhead/salmon fishing ever since I found out the Army was sending me to Fort Drum New York. So far I've come across good deals on Dan Craft's 10ft 8 wt, FT 1008-4, and another sponsor with good deal on a St. Croix 4FT1069(based on the model number I think it's an SCIV). Just wondering if anyone had any experience with either or both or any other that would do the trick. I've had a lot of fun with Dan's 9ft 5wt FT but understand there's a good bit of difference between them and the 10ft models. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to latch hold of a big'un!

Thanks,
Mick

Hope the fish bite in Afghanistan next year :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steelhead switch rod
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 11:37AM

Mick
I have a Dan Craft FT 10ft 10wt that I am currently completing as a switch rod. It is a great blank and during test casting found it would easily cast a 10/11 wt line 80+ feet. I used Static Guide Placement in the library above to initially locate the guides, recommendations from Bob Meiser, and then a lot of test casting to determine the final locations. When all was said and done I ended up with 8 guides.

The Dan Craft FT blanks are highly praised by Bob Meiser a master rod builder here in Oregon and a sponsor on this site.
If you would like any further information and or pictures of my 10 wt email me.

Bob
crookbob@msn.com

Posted by: David Hull (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 05:03PM

Hook and Hackle has some nice 9'6'' , 10' , and 10'6'' 6,7,8,and 9 wts on sale now for 40.00. Sponser on left. I have built two rods with these IM6 blanks and they work great on the Lake Erie tribs. Good Luck!!

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.co.kern.ca.us)
Date: January 14, 2005 06:04PM

Do a search for Bob Meiser's comments on the Dan Craft 10' FT switch rods in 7 and 8 weights. Based on his comments I purchased the 8 weight blank, and only need to apply the final coat of finish to complete the project. I haven't cast the rod yet, but it seems very powerful. The AA is about 60 or 61 as I recall. I intend to use it on steelhead later this year in British Columbia.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas3.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 07:37PM

Dan

What colors did you use? I have both the 10 wt and a FT 5 wt in the process, both rods have redwood reel seat inserts and butts, one has gunsmoke hardware and the other has black. Was thinking red/gold & green/silver. Any idea's would be appreciated. When it comes to colors I need all the help I can get!!!!

Bob

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 08:21PM

Dark blue with silver HT inlays at the grip and ferrules, no tips on the guide feet. Very basic. I read Bob's comments on the number of guides, and I was able to find a good 8-guide spacing. I liked the 11-guide layout better. I hope I didn't make a mistake there.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 10:04PM

Dan

Thanksfor the color idea. I don't know if the number of guides make that much difference but thought I would follow Bob's advice.

Here is a link to a board here in Oregon where Bob Meiser is the host of the rod builing section. His replys to my questions might be of if intrest.

Just copy and paste it , I can't ever get the link to come up so all you have to do is open it.

[p076.ezboard.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster