I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting off reel seats
Posted by: Scott Hunt (---.arcadis-us.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:15AM

What is the best way to cut off reel seats without damaging the rod? Never done this before. Seems like I read posts somewhere before about using a dremel. I don't have one myself, but have access to one.

Specifically, I am wanting to cut the reel seats off of 2 Tica surf rods so that I can upgrade them to Fujii reel seats and reposition the each new reel seat to get the correct butt length for me ( Thanks again Lynn!). I removed the cork tape and foam grips from both rods last night and was able to see that both reel seats were installed with arbors (ie, reel seats have "space" between them and the blank).

Scott Hunt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting off reel seats
Posted by: Ko Tamura (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 10:55AM

Use a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel, however, you have to be careful not to cut into the blank. Make a cut lengthwise down the seat and another 180 degrees opposite of that. If the seat doesn't come off by hand at this point, stick a screwdriver in the cut and twist, but be sure not to damage the blank.

Posted by: Doug Cox (---.neonova.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 11:17AM

I use a high speed cutting bit in the Dremel to remove reel seats...it leaves a gap about 1/4" wide...the wide gap allows you to keep a eye on the blank. The Tica seats come off very easy...the ones I have worked on had spacers and shims that made out of a cardboard tube.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 11:31AM

One of the many I've cut off or boiled off was on a Berkley Lightning Rod. The seat had an aluminum finned spacer all the way down to the blank. Weirdest one I've ever taken off; couldn't get it off in the hot water, had to dremel it.

Putter

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 01:59PM

Use a Dremial cutting wheel or a hack saw to cut off the reel seat. I use Ko's method. Most reel seats have to be shimed Cheep rods use card board or masking tape. the better rods use a graphite type arbors. Some custom rod builders use sticky dry wall tape
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster