I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

static test again
Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.wsw-online.de)
Date: January 14, 2005 08:47AM

Hi,
I think I'll try my first static guide placement.
I've read a lot in the forum but can't answer one question…
When I understand right the ferrules are not wrapped when I do the static testing. Is it necessary to secure the ferrules (with tape…?) before I put a load on the rod? I'm afraid to destroy the ferrules when loading to get the blank to bend into the butt.
I've found pictures with a "good" static placement. Do you know if there are pictures with a less perfect placement availible?
Thanks again.
Stefan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: static test again
Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:06AM

Always wrap the ferrules before doing the static test. Tape does not do a good enough job .

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:40AM

Stefan,
Older ferrules, particularly older glass ferrules, would split fairly easily and needed to be wrapped before deflecting the blank. However, modern graphite ferrules are much, much tougher. For your piece of mind and just to be on the safe side it is probably a good idea to wrap the ferrule before dong your static testing. But it is not really necessary. I deflect blanks almost every day and have not had a ferrule fail while deflecting the blank in several years.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 10:54AM

I put at least several ( tight ) turns of 1/4" tape on them

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: January 14, 2005 01:43PM

Stefan. I suggest putting a guide on every female ferrule and static adjust the rest. If you have a very good idea which size guide will end up on the ferrules, you can wrap them first and eliminate that worry. I deflect without tape but I suppose I am risking breakage.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 02:57PM

Where did you read not to wrap a ferruale? The ferrule is part of the static test so you have to incorperate its restance in the rod function. It must be wrapped ether with thread or tape or the female section well split when any amount of tension is applied.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas3.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 03:25PM

I always temporairly wrap both the ferrules and guides with size c thread, no finish. I can then test cast the rod and make any adjustments to the spacing. It takes less than an hour to do this on a 8 or 10 ft -4 piece rod. Some might think this is a waste of time but it works good for me and I always have a few spools of thread that I will never use for permanent wraps.

Bob

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: January 14, 2005 04:10PM

Bob B. It simply isn't true that ferrules always split during a static test, although I will not argue with the precaution. I have fished rods where I found myself on the water with an unwrapped ferrule with no problems. On rods where I did wrap the female without a guide it was a very short wrap. But of course these are my rods, so if they break I know exactly who to blame.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 12:06AM

Hi Don What I guess I am say is that a the cost of a a high end graphiteblank, I would not take the chance of have it split. Once graphite starts to split there is know stopping it. you have to remember graphite fibers are only held togather with resin. Graphite is not like glass where the fibers are inter-locked
Good wraps Bob

Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.pool.mediaWays.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:12AM

Thanks for your help!
It seems to me the disadvantage of wrapping the ferrules first is that I'm not free to position a guide on the ferrule later when the static test tells me to do.
I think I'll wrap the ferrules but don't coat them and put some turns of tape over the uncoated thread. That should work.
Stefan

Posted by: Don Davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 02:20PM

Stefan. Either tape the ferrule or put a quicky wrap on it and put the guide on top of that either with thread or more tape. Then static test. There is no one best set up for the static test. You want a guide on every ferrule, if you can. . Put one there and only move it off if you cannot otherwise make the static test work. I have never had a blank where I could not get a guide on every ferrule (except section 2 with more than 4 pieces.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster