I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Open Invitation ---- DVD input
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 06:36PM

You can respond off line if you wish - my email address is unblocked. I would like input on what people would like to
see on DVD format. Simple as
that. I'll try to get to it. Although these are distributed by a sponsor of this board and are now sold by
at least two other sponsors -- I'm still doing all the work and absorbing the production / distribution costs.
Yes, I still have my 9-5 job and yes, I'm still making /repairing rods ... the DVD's are secondary to those.
Some ideas.......
Subtitles - Done in English; Working on Spanish (other languages?).
Sign Language - As soon as my daughter has free time from her many activities (new mom, teacher and
enrolled in double doctorate programs so that may be awhile!) .
Rod Repairs - in outline form now - looking for "common problems:"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Open Invitation ---- DVD input
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 13, 2005 07:25PM

Ken just keep the good work coming.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 10:15PM

Don't ask this dummy, I can't even spell DVE.

Posted by: Mike Williams (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 10:21PM

A repair DVD would be great but that would get even more involved than regular rod building type stuff. You'd need a whole library or set of DVDs to cover all the possible repair situations!

Posted by: Lonny Bacon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 11:37PM

I would like to see something on doing the mortise in the wood insert. Setting up and using the common cents system. Setting up and using Don mortons guide placement system.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.158.186.51.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 12:20AM

How about building a rod acid/ spiral wrap?

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 03:05AM

Ken , I think a DVD about how and why to build special purpose rods such as wire line trolling,flippin,drop shot, crankin&bladin as well as some historic stufff that was used to bob eels. I wish I had a 9-5 job. Dennis

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 06:24AM

Lonny ---
I'm going to leave the mortise in the wood reel seat up to the expert in working with wood -- Andy Dear. The Common Cents / Sense
system - possible .... Don Morton's guide placement system also possible - juxtaposed with static deflection testing.

Dennis --
I've just about wrapped up (no pun intended) a DVD on Saltwater Fly Rod construction -- end to end / step by step.
and I'll have the "sister" rod in Charlotte that anyone can take over to the casting pool and play with / compare. The
original went to Nick - who helped me out by catching fish on it to confirm that it really does work. I've also got an
"outline" and working on a script (to keep me on track) for a surf stick . "Bobbing eels" - holy mackerel you must be
nearly as old as I am (or we both started really young)... I used to be the "bait gatherer" for my dad and uncles. Mess of
bait wrapped with silk thread on a heavy string ... bob it up and down along pier pilings ... eel takes the bait and gets
his small teeth stuck in the silk windings - no hook / easy to release in the bucket of wet sand to keep them lively .

Mike --
You're absolutely right . Repairs is a huge undertaking and will take some very serious organization - and it would be
very, very difficult to capture all the things that can go wrong / be broken with a likelyhood of NOT addressing the one
question someone had. One good thing about the DVD format is that it can be indexed into chapters. There are
also a couple of inherent problems in terms of cost to produce vs volume of information. To get the most out of the
cost of production you need to get something like 60 minutes of video on the DVD - removing/replacing a guide would
be something like 4-5 minutes - video is a powerful medium whereby a lot of information is captured quickly. Translating
that there would be on the order of 10 to 12 "chapters" - each of which would likely take an hour to an hour and a half
to actually "do" (including all the on-the floor bloopers and set-up time)... Yeah it could wind up being a very large and
difficult undertaking. Next winter maybe or if I retire sooner.......

Putter ---
We can have a spelling b(l)ee(p) on Friday night before the show in Charlotte!

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 02:43PM

Ken- posted this in a different section, not sure if you got it.

Ken- Haven't seen your DVD yet. What I'd really be interested is a series of quality DVD's. Maybe one for shaping grips, one for wrapping butt wraps that actually walks you through the layout and wrapping of a somewhat complicated butt wrap (Still haven't figured them out after building rods for 3 years), one for guide wraps, etc. @#$%&, I'd subscribe to them and probably pick up every one in a series.

I've already purchased VHS tapes on basic rod building. I have one that I bought in Japan, if I remember it was done at the Lamiglas factory. I thought it was horrible. Left out way too many details, basically described the whole process. I already know the basics, now I want to master some things that I keep screwing up and trial and error becoming too costly.

Just my ideas... you asked for it. Hehehe.

Not sure if the cost of production vs how many people would buy the DVD's would cover cost, but I'd buy them. Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster