I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat Removal
Posted by: Al Cardilo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 01:55PM

I'm just starting out with rod building and would like to try a rebuild for my first project. Is it possible to remove the heavy flex coat epoxy covering the wraps on a trolling rod without destroying the rod? Thought it would peel off once I got started but seems to very brittle and not easy to remove.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat Removal
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 01:58PM

Al,
If you will apply a little heat with something like a cigarette lighter it will come off easier. Be careful not to apply too much heat or the resin in the blank will break down.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (144.92.184.---)
Date: January 13, 2005 03:11PM

Al,
After refurbishing almost a hundred rods, I'd have to tell you that the only real good item is patience! If you work slowly and carefully, the job somehow gets done very quickly. I like a dull knife for hacking away at solid chunks and a razor blade for lighter and flakier stuff. For some reason, many manufacturers put on the stuff so thick that it becomes very inconsistent. Don't worry abotu destroying the blank. As long as you don't actually cut into the thing, you're fine. I would personally be very weary of applying heat unless absolutely necessary because as Emory said, if you apply too much you screw up the blank. Good luck.

Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: January 13, 2005 03:21PM

Al,
Another option for removing finish is if you can get the thread started where you can "unroll" it off of the blank and most of the finish will come off with the thread. I would wear some type of glasses while doing this because there will probably be projectiles flying around looking for a place to land.....like in your eyes. OUCH!!!
Hope this helps,
Noel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2005 03:22PM by Noel Spann.

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 06:06PM

Al - I asked this same question a few weeks ago because I would like to redo the wraps on my first project. The best answer I got was an email from a fellow builder who stated he first cuts into the wraps on top of the guide feet with a razor blade (only on the guide feet not the blank) and peels off what he can then he uses a hair dryer to gently heat the remaining coating then scrapes it off with a plastic knife. He says he has done this many times. It sounded good to me.
I haven't tried it yet but plan to in the next few weeks.
Good luck,
Greg

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 06:06PM

AL,

Noel gave you the best advice for removing the thread & finish. Take a pick and try to pull threads from the tunnel area (nearest the ring). You should get one that you can pull on that will unwrap the guide foot along with the finish. The hardest part is figuring the direction the thread was put on so you can pull the other way. Don't try to cut them off as you will only have a lot of little threads to pull on possably damage the blank. After you have the thread and guide off there will be finish residue on the blank. Use hair dryer to heat the last bit of finish and with your fingernail or maybe an old credit card scrape off the remaining finish. Take your time and you'll be ok. If you have any other questions just post them here. There are a lot of great people here that will help.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Al Cardilo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:14AM

Well, it took most of the day but mission accomplished. Not fun that's for sure but I am satisfied with the results. Thanks to all for your help.
Al

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster