I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cold weather fly reel seats
Posted by: david lourim (---.dhcp.mcw.edu)
Date: January 13, 2005 12:36PM

Hi,

After making about a dozen spinning rods, mostly for steelhead, I've decided that it is time to enter into the mysterious world of fly fishing. I've a couple of SC IV fly blanks (old style) that I would like to use, but I need some advice - in particular, about the reel seat. Living in Wisconsin where the weather tends to be on the cool side, I would like to have reel seats that will not freeze to my hand when the weather is less than balmy. While I would love to put a Bellinger or Struble Nickle Silver reel seat on, I assume they could be rather uncomfortable in colder weather. Am I wrong, and if not, what suggestions can you make for my particular circumstances?

The particulars: SC IV blanks (two piece), one 8 ft 4 wt for panfish, and one 9 ft 6 wt for winter browns, cohos etc. What materials do you think I should consider. Uplocking, downlocking, sliding bands? Makers and sizes would be appreciated.

thanks for your generous support and suggestions,

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cold weather fly reel seats
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: January 13, 2005 01:05PM

I am starting to favor Fuji DPS16 skeletons with either wood or cork inserts. That being said, your hand basically never touches the reel seat from the time you leave your vehicle to the time you return.

Posted by: david lourim (---.dhcp.mcw.edu)
Date: January 13, 2005 01:40PM

Doh!

I told you I'm new at this.

Dave

Posted by: James Martin (---.dsl.yntwoh.ameritech.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 01:43PM

Don't worry about it. If you think about it your hand is going to come in contact with an aluminum reel any way. I too fish for steelhead and have never had any problems with reel seats. I use a lot of Struble U3's. A few weeks ago I was out in 13 deg. weather with sustained 20-30mph winds. As steve said the only time your hand will come in contact with the seat is when to put on and take off the reel.

James

Date: January 13, 2005 01:48PM

Hey, don't feel bad. By the way, you have 2 outstanding blanks picked out! To get the most enjoyment from them, make sure the grip shape and size feel good in your hand and I suggest using single foot ceramic guides, such as Fuji Alconites (CLAG or BLAG series) or similar from Forcast, AmTak, or PacBay. Size 6 should be big enough. I suggest if in doubt, make the grip a little larger than a standard size factory grip to start. It's easy to sand it down a little later if you need to.

I just built the new 2005 SCIV 804-4pc. and she's a good one. I think Kirkman ranks the one you have among his favorites and he has cast a few!

Have fun.
Steve

Date: January 13, 2005 02:00PM

Oh, if the 906 will get used mostly for winter fishing with bad icing likely, consider going with wire snake guides. Most winter fishermen tend to prefer them in those conditions, even when they prefer the ceramics for everything else. I rarely deal with anything worse than minor icing first thing in the morning so I put ceramics on everything.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 02:34PM

David:

I agree with James, you rarely touch the reel seat. Go with the one you want. I always wear fingerless wool or neoprene gloves when winter fishing. Never had much problems with hands sticking to the reel seat. Most of the times all I wanted to do was to stick them in my coat pockets.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: James Martin (---.dsl.yntwoh.ameritech.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 02:49PM

I just tried ceramics for the first time on one of my steelhead rods and was very impressed. I was worried about ice build up due to the smaller diameter and ring thickness vs. single foot snakes. However, the ceramics actually performed better with icing issues. I was told they absorb more thermal energy from the sun so they tend to collect less ice. Well, the person who gave me this info must have been right. I've had far less problems with the ceramics. The guides were black frame with the smallest guide and top being a #8 ring. The rod was a 10' 7 wt. I was already using ceramics on all but my cold weather rods and now those get ceramics too. I'm really running out of uses for wire guides.

James

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: January 14, 2005 08:52AM

As mentioned already, you're not going to have trouble with your hands touching the nickel silver. However, I don't like the NS or aluminum in cold weather because the metal contracts so much. It's a little difficult to put the reel on the rod when its freezing. (That being said, a smarter person would mount the reel in the reel seat before he left the house--but I generally don't think about that till I'm standing out in the snow, trying to shove the reel foot into the metal seat.)

Personally, I've gone to using the Fuji SKM seats for all my fly rods. I turn a cork or wood insert to fit them. On those times that I don't want to mess with an insert, or I'm making a lower cost rod, I just use the Fuji DPS spinning seats. For the size fly rods you're making, the SKM or DPS in sz. 16 will work fine. They're basically indestructible, lightweight, and you'll never have any cold-weather problems with them. And, personally, with a pretty wood insert, I think they look better than NS.

For guides, I definitely prefer ceramics, especially the ones with SIC rings. They're a little more costly, but amazingly SLICK. Even the cheaper ceramics are better than snakes, IMO. The icing issue is something you should consider carefully. On the rods you mentioned, you won't "need" any larger running guides than 6mm to make the rod function properly. But, if you're using the rods in the freezing weather most of the time, then either think about upsizing to 7s or 8s, OR think about snakes. It is true that snakes are easier to deal with in the ice. At least, that's been my experience.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster