I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FOR PUTTER
Posted by: cosmin gheorghe (cos) (82.78.25.---)
Date: January 12, 2005 04:43PM

Thank's again, Putter!

I've allready buyed the two part epoxy!

I've found a better one (I think) special made for fishing rods; it is guaranteed by an italian rods factory and also have an "elastic" specfication on the packet, the problem is it is a little bit expensive(around 15$)!

The "BISON" one is made in Holland and came in 3 types: "5 min."(5$) , "Universal" (2hours hardening)(4$) and "Steel"(8$) ; I've choosed the "5 min." one because it was cheaper(5$) and a friend seems to use it from alot of time and his wraps gives no sign of cracking!

I don't know if 5 minutes are enough to cover the thread properly! What do you think? Shoud I try the "Universal" better because of his 2 hours hardening time(so I will have more time to a better work)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FOR PUTTER
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 12, 2005 05:52PM

I think that the 5 minute is an epoxy adhesive for gluing things together; I don't know of any thread finishing epoxies that are 5 minute... Maybe all of those "Bison" brands are for gluing and not threads???

I think that I'd go with the stuff from Italy.

Putter

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 07:13PM

Gotta agree with the old Dakota boy. I would make very sure that those other finishes are a rod finish epoxy and not adhesives, which it sounds like they are, especially when one is labelled "steel". Most epoxy adhesives here are sold as either 5 minute or two hour.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't work, but I would go with the Italian stuff also simply because you are eliminating guesswork. If it's made for rod wraps, you'll probably be better off.

I work on the slow side when it comes to putting on finish, but there's no way I could do even a small rod in 5 minutes. Also keep in mind that 5 minute epoxy dries in 5 minutes. That means your working time will be half that, at a maximum. Not nearly enough time for a "finish" to level out nicely.

Date: January 13, 2005 03:49AM

OKAY, gentelmans! I understand! Today I'm gonna buy the Italian stuff who seems to be more professional! Thank you bouth of you, guys for your advices!

Cos

P.S. I also wish to sign my rod. Do you think the acrylic paint is a good option? For the moment my rod is covered by a rod finish! Do the acrylic paint have enough adherence on the rod finish, or shoud I make some changes( like polishing the flex coat finish on a certain area and whrite directly on the graphite blank)?

Date: January 13, 2005 10:15AM

I haven't used the acrylic paint to do signatures with; maybe someone else will chime in or, if they don't, you could repost the question.

Putter

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 11:11AM

Have tried it, and even though it works, I've found it not to be the best method.

If you decide to use acrylics I found that you had to thin them prior to applying and then let them dry completely. Once dry, coat with CP prior to applying finish. I would also suggest you practice on a piece of scrap prior to actually signing your project. The good thing about acrylics is, if you mess up, a damp towel will easily take care of removing the paint.

Regards

Date: January 13, 2005 05:16PM

Ok gentelmans! Thank you very mucho! I will try the acrylic paint method!

I don't think I'm gonna find a Color preserver in Romania! The rodbuilding market is very small and undevelopped "down" here! Coud I use anything else! What's the color preserver in fact (chemicaly speaking) ? A finishing spray wich I can lightely spread over the acrylic whriting before applying the epoxy resin ?!? What other things can I use to surrogate the CP?

cos

Date: January 13, 2005 09:31PM

I've used a clear acrylic or laquer spray paint as a protectant and to stop "smearing" on this type of thing. Not to be used as color preserver on thread, of course, but this FAST DRYING clear spray paint will get the job done so that you can apply rod finish over the signature that you've made. Just a very thin coat...

Putter

Posted by: cosmin (82.78.25.---)
Date: January 14, 2005 05:02PM

Thank's again, Putter! I'have got today a laquer spray (for rally cars-I don't know if is so flexibile)!

I will send you a message when I'm gonna make the whriting (I did'n't took the acrylic paint yet)! For now, I'm working to the wraps and the positioning of the guides to another medium light rod! "See" you then soon, Putter!

cos

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster