I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

under wrap
Posted by: Lee Bossley (---.nstci.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 08:10AM

Iam building a offshore rod (tuna). Do the guides need to be under wraped? If it matters I going to spiral wrap it.

Lee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: under wrap
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2005 09:21AM

They don't need to be, but on rods that heavy it won't hurt anything and it's felt that underwraps can help prevent the guides from twisting or slipping against the blank under severe loads. Of course, if you spiral wrap it, that same type of pressure on the guides will no longer exist. They'll already been in the positions they attempt to go to if they had been wrapped on top.

But again, underwraps won't hurt a thing on a rod that heavy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.45.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 09:27AM

Be on the safe side! Underwrap and maybe a good coat of permagloss for a hard coating that is nice to wrap over

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 12, 2005 09:35AM

I'm predicting 2/3 of the replies will say Yeah, about 1/3 Nay.
I say absolutely. Even if you taper the guide feet well and all that, I just want to know there is something between that guide foot and the blank. Light-duty sticks rarely see 10# of drag. You will probably use AT LEAST 10# of drag, if not 25#+. With a tuna stick, you are not worried about adding a few extra grams of weight to a rod that already weighs one pound built with a reel that pushes 2 pounds or more when loaded with line. I would say, build that rod like you are going to war. I can think of no sane reason NOT to underwrap a heavy-duty salt-water rod, ESPECIALLY a TUNA stick. I also think the underwrap gives a softer surface into which the guide foot can "settle" or sink slightly, and not slide along the rod blank when flexed (which would definitely make the thread finish / epoxy crack.) ... Well, that my 25 cents. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, Florida-

Posted by: bob carper (---.monroe.army.mil)
Date: January 12, 2005 09:45AM

I say yes, not necessary for performance but gives you many more options for wrap designs.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 10:22AM

Hadn't thought about a coat of permagloss Bill. I've generally used a coat of CP. Thanks for the tip!

Regards

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.45.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 10:34AM

Remember if you want the color not to become translucent, put a coat of CP first, then the Permagloss. Unless you are using matalics or NCP thread, they don't need it. The CP that is

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 10:07PM

I work as a deckhand/cook about four days a month on a boat that "chunks" for big yellowfin (150 # average) at the Midnight Lumps off the Louisiana Coast. The key to winning the battle with these bruisers is to set a drag that will turn the thing and not allow him to keep control very long. We set drags 35 - 40 lbs and now use spirals almost exclusively. I learned long ago the three word phrase that keeps me young and sturdy. When a yellow fin inhales a chunk you say "Here Hold This" to the person standing next to you and quickly hand off the stick! I love to do the gaffing! I do not believe that I have ever seen a tuna stick that was not underwrapped. I think it is a necessity and also I would question the use of CP on the thing as well. I want the strongest thing I can put together when tuna enter the equation.

By the way, just got through redoing a couple of standups. Have you seen the Metallic Gold Outline Graphic of a Yellowfin that Decal Connection has available. They really look awesome on black thread.

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster