I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epox. thread check angel
Posted by: Ed Carr (---.msn.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 10:34PM

I'm doing an epox. thread check and want to marbilize same what angle will work for drying. Thought a 45 deg. would be ok it would level top as it came around but bottom would be at a steep angle and might slide off. Maybe a ring of tape on handle to protect handle. Impute on this would be great. ED... P.S. I havn't been able to post since new years, Tom K. fixed it asap. Thanks again Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epox. thread check angel
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 11:08PM

I haven't tried that sharp/steep of an angle (angel LOL), but as long as the surface was properly prepared (won't repel the finish) and the mixture isn't too thick, I feel pretty sure that it would do OK. I guess you'd just have to try it and see, Ed.
Thought you were out chasing blacktails or something; good to see ya back!

Posted by: Ed Carr (---.msn.com)
Date: January 12, 2005 08:53PM

Putter; you saying just put epox on with rod while laying flat, no angle.ED..

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 12, 2005 09:15PM

Ed,

Check your E-mail. I sent a pix

What I do is, with the rod turning, I drop a glob of 5 min epoxy right where the blank meets the seat or foregrip. Just add more globs until it fill all the way to the seat/grip. As the rod turns, it will flow around the blank. I just raise the tip enough to keep all of the epoxy from just leveling out (maybe 10- 15 degrees) I want a shallow enough ramp that I can wrap thread from the blank right up the ramp to the seat or grip. When I wrap up to the seat or grip, I don't do a pull through. I just tape the end of the thread somewhere up on the seat/grip and after I apply finish and it dries, I just nick the excess thread off. It's pretty easy and looks nice

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 12, 2005 11:59PM

I thought that you were saying that you had already made the 45 degree transition and now wanted to marble over it.

Go with what Mike's saying or use Rod Bond instead of 5 minute epoxy. You can leave the rod level with Rod Bond. Just put a bit of alcohol on your finger or on a spatula to shape the Rod Bond (it will stick to anything and fight ya otherwise).

Putter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster