I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide wrapping question
Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 11:05AM

Hi All,

Quick question. When wrapping a light spinning rod, where do you put the add-in thread ends and the tie-offs? Do you put them on the top side of the rod where they show or do you put them on the guide foot where you might not get a solid hold?

A secondary question as a follow up to the first. Is the epoxy which is covering the thread intended to protect the thread or is it intended to hold the thread (see question one).

As Always,

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide wrapping question
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: January 11, 2005 11:16AM

I have mine come off to the side of the blank. If top is 0 degrees and the guide side is 180 degrees, I will pull them around to lets say 120 degrees. Enough to have a solid hold of the tag end, but still mostly out of sight from the angler. The epoxy protects the threads. I am not sure what you mean by hold, but it will hold the thread in place, but it does not used for holding the guide in place, that is the job of the thread.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.178.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 11:58AM

Yep, me too, what Mike said

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 12:48PM

Mike tells it like it is.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 02:36PM

I do it the same; but on one side, the thread as it is pulled back under will try to go back towards the guide tunnel and unravel. Stay away from that side. Do it on the other side where as it's pulled through it tends to go towards the top of the rod, away from the guide foot to prevent the wrap unravelling.

Putter

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 02:47PM

To answer your second question, the thread is what secures the guide to the blank. The purpose of the finish is to encapsulate the wrap to protect the thread from the elements/abrasions/abuse

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.169.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 04:08PM

Also on spinning single foot guides if you put 4-5 threads after the upright post to help keep the guide from pulling out, this extra thread keeps the pull though from coming unraveled

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 04:20PM

Good Point, Bill!! I forgot to mention a locking wrap (directions are in the Library above!!

Mike

Posted by: Jack Rego (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 04:40PM

The epoxy and thread work together. Either by itself would fasten a guide to a blank. Separately, each would not "look" attractive, but would do the job. In fact, electrical tape would make an adequate field repair.

The strength of any adhesive is it's resistance to a shear force. Thread can only resist a tensile (pulling) force. Wrapping with uniform tension on the thread provides a uniform, distributed force of the guide onto the blank when the rod is built. When the guide is loaded by the line, additional tension is put into the thread. The thread wrap closest to the contact point of the line to the guide will be stressed more than the wrap next to it, ad infinitum. By coating the thread, each wrap transmit its tension force to the adjacent wrap by the shear action of the epoxy between the respective wraps.

The use or noneuse of color preservative and the application of bubble free epoxy will change the appearance of the thread. This is asthetics.

So, I will answer the second question by saying: Epoxy is used with thread for thread protection, additional strength, and asthetics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster