I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feathers for inlays for a blue toned rod?
Posted by: Daniel W. Colville (---.buf.adelphia.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:05AM

Hey guys...What kind of feather would you use in an all blue rod. Are there any blue feathers out there. If so where can i get some and what is the average price.
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feathers for inlays for a blue toned rod?
Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:15AM

Blue jay feathers might work. Don't know where you'd get them though.

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.cjrw.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:49AM

Check out Siskyou Aviary, a sponsor at the left, for lots of choices in blue feathers, green feathers and what-have-you.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 10:27AM

Kate of Siskiyou Aviary suggested a "India Blue Peacock-'church window pattern' " to me for blue.

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 10:35AM

Daniel:

Why not try feathers with the gold, yellow, orange tones? Check with Kate as well on these, but do not get stuck on matching the color of the blank. Contrast is good!

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 05:11PM

You can pick up a bag of dyed feathers at many craft stores. They usually sell a bag with 6-7 different colors for $4-$5. I'm guessing about 75-100 feathers.

This is a nice option - you can lay down several feather until you get what you like for next to nothing.

Christian

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:29PM

I'm a Michaels addict. Seems as every time I'm in there I pick up a bag of cool looking feathers for eventual use. I have feathers coming out of my ears yet I'm still going to be placing an order with Kate of Siskiyou for even more feathers.

As mentioned, the color of the feather is up to you. Do you want to match the blank or the wraps? Maybe you might want to do something contrasting to either or both. You might want to put them on the blank, or on a contrasting underwrap. I have very little color coordination so when I have to use a feather, I often wind up in a corner, @#$%& my thumb and shivering.

But really, it's awful hard to screw up a feather inlay as far as colors go. They all look good as long as you apply them decently. Just stay away from plastic jungle cock eyes...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 05:35AM

Why not try a red spike feather for contrast and then add a few various shades of blues around it. I have some blue Aussie Grassparrot feathers if you want them which would suit what your planning. There is plenty out there, just be willing to try different combinations for different effects. Who says it all has to tone in?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster