I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alcohol for solvent and burning
Posted by: Scott Hunt (---.arcadis-us.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 07:56AM

I went back a searched for a while and I think that I understand that the best alcohol to use for a solvent for degreasing/cleaning blanks, errant epoxy, etc. is DENTAURED alcohol.

Is this the same alcohol that is supposed to be used in an alcohol burner? If not, what is appropriate.

Where is the best/likely place to buy denatured alcohol? Hardware store? Drug store?

Thanks in advance!

Scott Hunt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alcohol for solvent and burning
Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:04AM

I got some denatured alcohol at Walmart (paint dept.). Most any store that carries paint will have it. (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) As per the burner: Methanol (aka methyl alcohol, wood alcohol) is best. I do not use an alcohol burner but I would expect paint stores to have it. Years ago, I got some at a drug store. I also think the denatured alcohol would work almost as well. I use a heat gun or a hair dryer because they do not have a flame (which is an ignition source) and are easier for me to control.

Ed

Date: January 11, 2005 09:05AM

I got some denatured alcohol at Walmart (paint dept.). Most any store that carries paint will have it. (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) As per the burner: Methanol (aka methyl alcohol, wood alcohol) is best. I do not use an alcohol burner but I would expect paint stores to have it. I also think the denatured alcohol to work almost as well. I use a heat gun or a hair dryer because they do not have a flame (which is an ignition source) and are easier for me to control.

Date: January 11, 2005 09:07AM

I got some denatured alcohol at Walmart (paint dept.). Most any store that carries paint will have it. (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) As per the burner: Methanol (aka methyl alcohol, wood alcohol) is best. I do not use an alcohol burner but I would expect paint stores to have it. I also think the denatured alcohol to work almost as well. I use a heat gun or a hair dryer because they do not have a flame (which is an ignition source) and are easier for me to control.

Ed Smith

Posted by: David Green (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:13AM

Scott,
I have been using Denatured Alcohol for 10+ years of building. I get it at Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot. It has worked quite well for me in my alcohol burner also, I keep the wick very short for a cooler flame.

Tight Wraps
DG Rod Works

Posted by: David Green (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:13AM

Scott,
I have been using Denatured Alcohol for 10+ years of building. I get it at Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot. It has worked quite well for me in my alcohol burner also, I keep the wick very short for a cooler flame.

Tight Wraps
DG Rod Works

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:19AM

Denatured or Solvent Alcohols are often labeled as "alcohol stove fuel" and either will work fine for that purpose, as well as being a good all around solvent.

Posted by: Ralph Cordell (---.cdc.gov)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:32AM

I use denatured alcohol as both a solvent and in alcohol lamps. Methanol will work just as well - whichever is cheapest. Denatured alcohol is simply grain alcohol (ethanol) with additives (often methanol) that make it poisonous. I get mine in gallon cans at the local ACE hardware.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 11, 2005 10:25AM

IsoPropyl Alcohol (also called "rubbing alcohol", or IPA in a laboratory) is also an option for a fuel in an alcohol lamp. It comes as 70% or 91% IPA, the balance being plain water. Any pharmacy will carry it, usually in the First Aid section; now costs about $1 per pint or half-liter. ANY solvent is flammable, and an open flame is something I avoid if possible. A red-hot tool placed down on an unseen spill can ignite the puddle and set the whole bench on fire in a flash. And if you smoke in your shop, one ash drop is all it takes. It won't explode, but trying to use water to put it out can actually just spread it around and make it worse.

IMO, I personally do not use an alcohol lamp much. It's good for heating rod tip-tops, but boiled water is safer. It's good for flaming out bubbles in thread finish. But I would consider switching brands of thread finish or the way I mix the epoxy or the brush / applicator I use before I had to always rely on flaming out the bubbles. Or I'd try a heat gun. Some use a flame to singe off thread "fuzzies" that poke up thru a coat of thread finish. But I'd watch my burnishing technique and use a smoother tool, or cut off those spikes with a razor or nail clipper. ... I'm afraid of h-e-l-l and fire, wherever they may be. -Cliff Hall-.

Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: January 11, 2005 01:39PM

I use 91% Isopropyl alcohol and it works just fine.
Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: January 11, 2005 03:37PM

91% may work, but the 70% won't. At least not in my burner. I use the 70% for cleaning my hands and tools....had to make a WalMart run for the denatured which is PERFECT for any alcohol burner.

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:19PM

I encourage all to stop using alcohol lamps. They are inherently unsafe and are not required for rodmaking.

Posted by: Ed Carr (---.msn.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 10:10PM

I use denatured for my burner and cleaning blank and hands. Works ok. ED...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster