I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mathematic guide placement?
Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.wsw-online.de)
Date: January 11, 2005 07:01AM

Hi,

first I have to say that I've build some fly rods in the past on Sage and Loop blanks but I'm absolutely not an experienced rod builder. For guide placement I always used the placement recommendations of the companies my blanks were from. But what to do if a guide placement chart is not available and no expert can help?

I've read older threads to the topic of proper guide placement on fly rods and also the article about static guide placement. Static guide placement seems to be an easy way but I'm sure you need some experience to do the job with good success.

When I see that e.g. Loop has the same guide placement for their rods if it is for a fast action Green Line or a much slower Yellow Line I can't believe that the guide placement is always "perfect" on these rods. On the other hand I never felt a problem with guide placement when casting any Loop rod.

What happens with the casting abilities if the guide placement isn`t perfect? Ore is guide placement (the fine adjustment) maybe more of an optic question?

When I analyze the guide placement on the Loop rods I believe to discover mathematic coherences. On their 10' and 9'9'' 7wt rods for example the distance from tip top to the first snake is 11cm (4.33''). Then they extend the distance to the next ring respectively for about 2cm (0.79'') for the next 4 rings, about 3cm ('') for the next two rings and about 4cm (1.57''), 5cm (1.97''), 6cm (2.36'') for the last rings on the butt side. The distances between the guides are progressive increasing from tip to butt.

Do you think guide placement with a mathematical approach can be successful with good results (maybe checked by the static placement system)?

Stefan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mathematic guide placement?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.50.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 07:09AM

Remember, no two blanks flex the same! That is why the static placement is so good. Start with maybe one more then the length of the rod, then just add or take away as needed. I put on light rods first from tip at 4 1/2" heavy maybe 5-5 1/2?? Then just add maybe 1/2" as you go down the rod Addjust with the test

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2005 09:00AM

The static method is going to be your best method for doing this - it only requires a bit of common cents, not a tremendous amount of exerience. Once you've done perhaps one or two this way you'll be comfortable with it.

You might also be interested in Rich Forhan's Equal Distance guide spacing system. Nothing could be easier, but you will likely end up with one or two more guides than you actually need this way.

Too many guides can rob you of rod efficiency, with at least some of your imparted energy being used to start and stop that extra weight. Too few can result in rod breakage due to stress between any pair of guides under load. But these are the extremes.

The factory spacing charts are good places to start and from there you can tweak the spacing, per static deflection tests, to get the very best system possible.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: January 11, 2005 01:55PM

Stefan. My only rule is to place a guide on every female ferrule. Then add enough guides to create a progressive increase between guides. Then static check to see if it all works and adjust accordingly. I probably use too many guides this way, but if the guides are light enough, I figure I am not losing a lot of performance for the casting I do.

Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.pool.mediaWays.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 05:23PM

Thanks for your help!
Maybe I'll try out the static guide placement in future.
Is it necessary to secure the ferrules with tape when static testing because they are not wrapped at this time?
Stefan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster