I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

When To Apply Cork Seal
Posted by: Glenn Swor (---.dckrsn01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 10:21PM

Is it better to apply Cork Seal before or after your handle is glued in place, or does it make any difference? I have done it both ways with good results, and for me, it seems a little easier to apply Cork Seal (and let dry) before epoxying the handle to the blank.

Then I got to thinking....does the epoxy need air to fully cure, and would a sealed grip interfere with this process? Or does the epoxy cure without air? I seem to recall reading somewhere that cork is a 'closed cell' substance, but I not sure about this fact. While I haven't had it happen yet on a sealed grip, what about the times when epoxy works out through a pit in the cork after gluing the grip in place - would the cork need resealing there?

Sorry, I didn't intend to sound like Roseanne Roseanna Danna about this, but as always, thanks in advance for all replies.

Glenn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When To Apply Cork Seal
Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2005 10:59PM

I like to apply whatever cork finish I'm using as the very last step of the complete precess, that way, I can do a final sanding with 600 grit sandpaper to clean up any finger smudges or dirty spots and get a nice clean finish for the sealer.
Murf

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 12:51AM

Once the grip is sanded and ready to be reamed, I put the cork seal on. After it's dry, I ream it and glue it onto the rod. This keeps the grip from being contaminated by anything by this clutz. The rod bond wipes off the cork sealed grip very nicely, too.
I apply the cork seal and then immediately wipe off any excess with a paper towel before setting it aside to dry. The bit that penetrates is all that does any good. Any more can change the color and, especially, the feel of the grip to me.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 01:01AM

I agree with Randy it is better to shape and seal the cork before you start wrapping.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Andy Woodford (---.swiftel.com.au)
Date: January 11, 2005 04:20AM

As I understand it to pack epoxy does not need air to cure. The curing process is by way of a chemical reaction.

Cheers

Andy Woodford

Cheers

Andy Woodford

Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 04:40AM

My question is: do you always seal epoxy?. I mean, all commercial rods sold in Spain bring unsealed cork. It's intended they must be sealed by the buyer?. It's just a matter of aesthetic?.

When must cork be sealed and when not?.

Daniel

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.50.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 07:00AM

I would think that the longer cork is " not " sealed the more dirt can get into it!! So, seal it as quick as you can. Keeps it cleaner! Unless any cork from the factory has a plastic sleve on it, it will get dirty when being handled during shipping in the store etc.

I would think that the longer cork is " not " sealed the more dirt can get into it!! So, seal it as quick as you can. Keeps it cleaner! Unless any cork from the factory has a plastic sleve on it, it will get dirty when being handled during shipping in the store etc.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 03:44PM

Cork seal 'toughens' the cork a bit, too. It isn't so easily chipped and cut; plus the dirt problem talked about earlier. Sealed cork cleans up easily; unsealed needs to be sanded clean.
Most commercial rods sold here in the US are unsealed, also.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 02:16AM

If you ike whe natural cork look, seal it. Some fisher people like the petena or weathered look for none sealed cork. Cork is easy to clean. Take a soap wash rag and clean of the dirt then take a medium scuff pad and buff it back to its origanal color. ,cork is vary dense and well not hold any real stain. It is only stained on the surface. you can also use wood bleach to get the white effect.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.210.252.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 03:06PM

i clean my factory made rod (temple fork outfitters fly rod) over the kitchen sink, with a kitchen scouring pad, blue nylon scrub surface stuff on one side of a sponge and a little liquid detergent/dish washing soap. cleans up real nice. even dirty, it looks fine. pitted a bit, but i don't mind that.

i'll have to try sealing my next rod's cork, see what happens.

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster