I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread troubles! fr the rookie bamboo
Posted by: Talley McLain (---.225.192.176.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 08:42PM

I was hopping to make my first bamboo for my self and have a few questions

The first is that when i was at the Fly Fishing Expo in Denver this weekend and asked what to do w/ silk i was told that u don't use color preserver, and varnish only. then when i was on the net i read in two different spots that you want to use preserver and so i posted a question about "translucent thread" on another sight and was told that light colored silk w/o preserver became clear. can ANYONE clarify?

also since i'm VERY new to this(just 14 and started 2yrs ago) what comapanys should i get the varnish from?

and can anyone tell me about the spine in a bamboo(if there is any)?
-toe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread troubles! fr the rookie bamboo
Posted by: Jeff Fultz (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 09:14PM

I offer bamboo rodmaking classes in Denver if your interested. Feel free to give me a call anytime at 303-722-6324 and I'll help you out as much as possible.

Jeff Fultz
Platte River Rods & Fultz Rod Co.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 09:27PM

Talley,
Yes silk and nylon as well will become translucent if you do not use color preserver. I think that most bamboo rod builders like this look.
Yes, a bamboo rod also has a spine but it gets more complicated because each flat side will create a plane that is relatively softer than that created by each ridge plus their will be an overall spine. I am sure that one of the bamboo rod makers will come on and give you some direction on how to deal with it and also give you good advice on the varnish to use. I think that most just use spar varnish. If not you can find several sites that are dedicated to bamboo rod making.
If you do not get any better advice here and can not find one of the bamboo sites post again and I will try to give you a hand getting the information that you need to make your grass rod.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 09:28PM

Talley,
I knew someone would jump in to help. Jeff is a well known bamboo rod maker. Get in touch with him.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 09:59PM

how your silk or nylon thread will look without color preserver will depend on how light or dark the blank is. the darker the blank, the more the thread is going to go deeper in tone. both nylon and silk will have that transluscent effect without color preserver. without the color preserver the grain of the underlying blank will show thrue as will your guide feet and what you did to prep them. i like this look. some don't. for varnish, i find that "man o war" spar varnish by mclusky(sp?) works well and is available. it is a high oil varnish and will penetrate the thread well which is what gives you that transparent look. i might suggest that silk thread requires much more care in handling since it is usually finer and more delicate and prone to cutting and fraying. properly done it is absolutley beautiful.

Posted by: John Dann (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2005 11:00PM

One other suggestion: Try a few different colors of thread on either a scrap piece of bamboo or on the blank itself. I usually wrap and varnish the thread colors I want to experiment with where the grip and reel seat will eventually go. That way there is no problem with mess. Without color preserver you'll see that the natural color of the thread changes quite dramatically. The only way to find out if you're going to like a color is to try it and see. Most builders like the more natural, understated tones like tan, brown, red, black, green.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 11:57PM

Talley
Jeff is offering -- Man, take him up on it! If I lived anywhere near Denver I'd go learn from him.

Posted by: Shanon Hedgecock (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 01:17AM

Talley,

did you make your forms yourself?

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: January 11, 2005 01:50PM

Go to Golden Witch (sponser) and get their catalog. They sell a Varathane that will serve you nicely. Unlike semi-gloss Helsman, Varathane preserves a little color, even without CP. A white thread goes clear, a darker thread goes pretty translucent. I would suggest a 3/0 or 2/0 silk in an earth tone, and do a trial wrap on the butt section where it will be covered up. I have been experimenting with applying varnish with a thin, plastic, painter's palette knife to press the first coats of varnish down into the thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster