I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Breakage
Posted by: Robert Adams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 10, 2005 01:16PM

Does anyone have any personal, first hand knowledge of rod breakage due to improper placement of guide relative to the blank(s) spine? Building my first rod and understand the conventional wisdom re: spine and guide placement but having a very hard time locating the spine on the tip section, even after lots of research and effort re same. No problem with the butt section (2 piece 8.5' IM6 5wt) At the very best, I can only make an educated guess on the tip section spine since it seems hardly discernable. Or maybe I'm just being overly cautious. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?
Would appreciate any comments on this with sincere thanks.
Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Breakage
Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sea1-4.27.224.88.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 01:44PM

Give it your best shot and move on. Look back after you've built a dozen more and I think you will feel a lot more comfortable with it. Do the best you can and each one gets better and better, just comes with experience.

Have fun!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2005 01:49PM

You cannot break a rod by improper spine orientation - there is simply no such thing.

What can and does break a rod, is using too few guides which creates a situation where the line pulls between the guides and places more stress on the blank in that area than it was designed to handle.

You can read more about rod spine on the FAQs page here.

Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.nwcspa.adelphia.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 04:38PM

Robert,

It's funny you should mention this, there's a thread over on the Fly Fisherman bulletin board in which someone claims that ignoring spine is a major cause of breakage. I took the claim with a grain of salt.

Kevin

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2005 04:52PM

Severe twisting of a rod blank can damage it, but you have to remember that the spine cannot be used to stop rod twist while fighting a fish - only by having the guides on the bottom of the rod can you achieve that. All rods with guides on the top are inherently unstable. All rods with the guides on the bottom are inherently stable. And this would be true regardless of where you locate the spine.

Posted by: Joe Luebeck (---.but-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 05:50PM

Some 20+ years ago I bought a low end Courtland fly rod that was not wrapped properly. You can roll the sections and feel that the spine is nowhere near where the guides have been wrapped. I still have it, my daughter learned to cast with it. For what I paid for it, it's been a great rod. The biggest drawback is that the tip rotates while it being used. Every 10 to 20 casts you have to put the tip back in line with the base. But it's never been broken, but it's caught a lot of fish.
Joe

Joe Luebeck
Butte, Montana

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2005 05:53PM by Joe Luebeck.

Posted by: Robert Adams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 11, 2005 03:01PM

Just a note to thank all who responded. Appreciate it.
Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster