I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Design Advice
Posted by: Jim Cunningham (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 01:03PM

I am nearly prepared to appologize for asking so many questions, but you all are of great experience upon which to draw. I have an order for a rod with colors relicating the "flash" on a green beret worn by the Fifth Special Forces Group in VietNam. The colors are also (strangly enough) those of the VietNam Service Medal, with which I am very sure many of you gentlemen are familiar with: Dark Green, Bright Yellow and Scarlet. I am making this rod for a man for which, for obvious reasons, I have a great deal of respect, so I have been putting some extra-extra time into planning. On the guide wraps . . . my best idea is green underwrap, yellow overwraps and scarlet trim bands with the green underwrap showing just a 'scosh outside of the trim bands. Anyone have any better color-line-up ideas? My appreciation, as always, in advance, JC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Design Advice
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 01:38PM

Jim,

Shoot Mick McComesky an e-mail comesky@earthlink.net . He did the most beautiful "military" rod that I have seen. If you can catch him lucid LOL, he'd be glad to help

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 02:23PM

Beerman is right, Dundee did a beauty-was a jarhead wrap, though. He'd probably be able to help you on this, too!!

Posted by: Jim Cunningham (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 02:39PM

That rod is beautiful! I suggested doing Clyde's ribbons in the design and got a resounding, "No". (I would have probably needed a 20' surf rod). He has picked his design, I am just concerned about the color sequence. Tks, JC

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 09, 2005 04:05PM

JC - Would you consider using the YELLOW as an underwrap for the guide wraps, rather than the GREEN? How does this sound?:

YELLOW for the Underwrap.
GREEN for the Overwrap.
RED for the trim wrap.
RED for an accent wrap (under the guide ring), or the middle of the underwrap, for your double-footed guides. You can also extend the yellow underwrap so that it separates the green & the red, and also offsets the rod blank's color.

Yellow as an overwrap may not have enough masking power to suppress a green underwrap. And if you use NCP thread, you'll lose that luster of a nice yellow, and it may look flat like paint. Yellow looks very nice as a bright underwrap against a dark blank.

Other options could include:
Yellow-under; Red-over; Green-trim.
Red-under; Green-over; Yellow-trim.
Green-under; Red-over; Yellow-trim.
Maybe the symbolism of the colors can help you decide which color should dominate or accent the wrap.

Best Wishes to you, JC & your noble buddy. -Cliff Hall-.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 09, 2005 04:49PM

Would you consider using the YELLOW as an underwrap for the guide wraps, rather than the GREEN? How does this sound?:

YELLOW for the Underwrap.
GREEN for the Overwrap.
RED for the trim wrap.
RED for an accent wrap (under the guide ring),
or the middle of the underwrap, for your double-footed guides.
You can also extend the yellow underwrap so that it separates the green & the red, and also offsets the rod blank's color.

Yellow as an overwrap may not have enough masking power to suppress a green underwrap. And if you use NCP thread, you'll lose that luster of a nice yellow, and it may look flat like paint. Yellow looks very nice as a bright underwrap against a dark blank.

Other options could include:
Yellow-under; Red-over; Green-trim.
Red-under; Green-over; Yellow-trim.
Green-under; Red-over; Yellow-trim.
Maybe the symbolism of the colors can help you decide which color should dominate or accent the wrap.

Best Wishes to you and your noble buddy. -Cliff Hall-.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 06:57PM

You two are too much. And what's with the squid questioning my questionable lucidity!? I strongly resemble that remark! Appreciate the compliments though:)

I'm with Cliff. I would rather work with white than I would yellow. Yellow is really pretty but I find it to be a bear to work with.

Personally, I would go with green as the primary, yellow secondary and red for the trims. It would be more suited to a SF mudpuppy. But if you really want yellow to be the primary, I would suggest using green in the visible areas of the underwrap, then metallic gold or silver for the rest, even white. That will allow the brilliance of the yellow to show. Or do a green false underwrap and some white or yellow paint on the blank where you are going to wrap the yellow.

Sounds like a cool rod!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster