I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Finish
Posted by: Kevin Stull (---.iad.megapath.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 01:44PM

What is the best method to get the smoothest, most even finish possible when coating long sections of wraps along the blank,especially in front of the grip? I already warm the components and dispense them in a shallow, flat container with foil. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Finish
Posted by: Noel Spann (198.214.51.---)
Date: January 07, 2005 02:30PM

Kevin,
You should everything covered then make long horizontal strokes to even everything out.Make sure you dont put too much finish on your wraps, which is the culprit to most uneven finish jobs in my opinion.
Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2005 03:09PM

Brush and Hand Turn Procedures

Others will comment on rotating and spatula.

Start on largest end.

Tackle about two inch sections of the wrap at a time.

Rod on supports standing still - no rotation.

Load brush - Apply to top of blank & pull with 2" strokes in one direction toward the tip end. No back and forth brushing.

Cover top and partially down the sides of the 2" section you are working on.

Rotate and perform the above on until you completely go around the circumference on this section.

When done move to the next two inch section and repeat. Slightly overlap to the completed section.

When you get to the end of the area to be finished take a look at the bottom of the blank and see if there are any sags of excess finish. If so just take your brush and wick away the sagging excess. This is better than trying to rotate the sag up and attempting to spread it out.

Take your brush and make 1/2 to full length light pulls completely down the finished surface. Do this all the way around the rod.

Rotate the rod in the light beam reflected on top and you can easily spot any area that does not have any finish. Make long stroke additions with small amounts of additional finish.

Now the hard part.

Trust the finish to self level while the rod is standing still on the supports for about two or three minutes on several axis. During this time wick off any excess from the bottom.

Carefully place in dryer and rotate until cured or hand turn periodically for a few hours.

I am sure that others will provide additions to this method that will surely get you on your way to a complete flat finish.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 05:38PM

Well, I can tell you, what Bill just described works well. I have had the pleasure of watching him work and it is amazing how simple he makes things look that most people think are complicated.

Larry

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 07, 2005 07:55PM

Good info, Bill! Lately, I have been hand turning for an hour or two and it has greatly imoroved my wraps. I turn blank 180 degrees when it starts to sag on bottom (after wicking of sags/excess). At first it's every few minures but as it starts to set, the intervals get longer. Once it's pretty set, I start the drying motor.

Easy and surprisingly effective

Mike

Posted by: Kevin Stull (---.iad.megapath.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 11:21AM

Thank you for all of your input!

Kevin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster