I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

line hight for thumb on stand up rod
Posted by: sante morrone (---.rc-mres.charterpipeline.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 01:17PM

Iam building a stand up rod its 7' 3/4 - 3 oz 20-40lb
spiral wrapped .
ive got the guides taped on, did a static distribution test, moved the guides it looks ok as far as that goes.
from the center of the reel to the first guide (a #25) it measures 21 1/2 ".
6" from the end of the fore grip to the first guide
when i grasp the rod simulating a fish on, line through the guides and tied to a stationary post when you use your thumb to help the line in the reel back and forth evenly the line seems too low to the rod .how high should the line be at this piont?
is it to my preference, or should i try using a high frame guide?
moving the guide closer to the reel dont look like it will help
any suggestions
thanks guys

Sante Morrone
the fisherman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: line hight for thumb on stand up rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 01:28PM

Try the high frame, I bet it makes the transition from your reel to the other guides straighter also.

Spencer

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.177.119.13.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 07, 2005 02:40PM

Sante,
What's the angle of your stripper guide? Most people angle that first guide. In your case, if the angle is too severe, even a high framed guide might not be sufficient. try the high framed guide. If that doesn't work, you may have to rethink your angles for your transition guides. Alsomake sure you bend the rod at least to 90 degrees when testing your spacing.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2005 04:47PM

Moving the first guide farther from the reel seat will also raise the line height. On my 7' acid rods the first guide is usually 26-27" from the reel seat. I usually have a 12" hypalon foregrip and then a 13-15" buttwrap with the first guide at the end of the buttwrap which raises the guide somewhat. My first guide is usually at about 12 deg offset to the left with the next two guides handling the transition under the rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.70.37.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 08:41AM

There are articals in Rodmaker Magazine that tell you haow to set it up. Check them out Also for an index of the mag check the library page up on the right

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.70.37.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 08:41AM

There are articals in Rodmaker Magazine that tell you haow to set it up. Check them out Also for an index of the mag check the library page up on the right

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 09:19AM

Does the line touch the rod, or the grip? If not, does it really matter how close it comes?

Stand up rods - I thought this referred to a Tuna rod. All the rods I build with the above specs use a 20 stripper and I never have a proble,. WHat blank & reel are you using?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster