I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salmon blank
Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 11:02PM

I'm going to relocate to Oregon this summer and am looking forward to the terrific salmon fishing there. I'd like to build a rod for that purpose, but have no idea where to start, ( what blank, I mean). Mudhole has the Cascade blanks on sale, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on blank selection? Like I said, I no nothing about salmon fishing, I have been strictly a trout fisherman for years. I have a decent boat for trolling, other than that, I am completly in the dark. Any thoughts would be a real help.
Thanks, Murf

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salmon blank
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 11:22PM

Maybe Ed Carr could help. Speaking of Ed, where's he been lately???? You on vacation or still chasing blacktails??

Putter

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 11:51PM

Fred,
I live in Oregon and fish Salmon much of the year and have most of my life. I would recommend that you wait until you get here and see what kind of fishing that you are going to do. There are a number of different species of salmon, Silvers, Spring Chinook, Fall Chinook etc. that are fished in the ocean, in tide water and in the rivers using many different techniques. It also depends somewhat on where in Oregon that you will be as the techniques also vary from area to area. There is not really a simple answer to your question.

Date: January 07, 2005 12:23AM

Emory: That is the kind of info I need before I start, I figured there wasn't going to be one pat answer to my question. At least I've got a start now. I'm pretty sure I will be fishing where I can use my boat, for drifting, trolling or what ever technigues they use from a boat. I'll be settling down in the Aloha, Beaverton area, and will probably not be fishing the ocean, as my boat is only a 14' alum. Traveling distance won't be a problem either, as I will be retired and have NO SCHEDULE! to have to meet. Again, thanks for the input,
Murf

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.182.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 08:50AM

St Croix has listings for salmon blanks. This will give you an idea of what your looking for

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 09:48AM

Fred,
I live in Aloha as well so by all means come by and see me and I will show you some of the blanks that I build on for the different salmon and steelhead fishing applications. I always have a big inventory of blanks here.
A 14' boat, if it is a typical run about type boat, is not used that much here. Most of the rivers are too rough for that type of boat. But there are places where that type of boat can be used.
Let me know when you get here and we can have a cup of coffee and talk about it.

Posted by: David Horrocks (---.132.252.64.snet.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 11:18AM

Murf,

There are many different blanks to choose from I too believe you will first have to see the conditions you will be fishing in. There is another question that should be answered which is; do you want to catch and release your fish or do you want to take them home for dinner?
If you are a catch and release fisherman then I would suggest once you are familiar with the conditions you will be fishing and the species of fish you will be targeting to choose a blank with a heavy line weight. This will allow you to use a larger tippet and really bring the fish in quick.
If you plan on bring the fish home for dinner and didn’t mind running up and down the waters edge, then I would go with a lighter line weight rod.
Some argue that by changing the tippet size they can have the best of both worlds. I believe this is not true. A lighter line weight rod will offer the angler a much better feeling in terms of fighting and playing the fish then the heavier line weight rod with a lighter tippet.

First consider the species and size of the fish.
Second consider the fishing conditions.
Third consider if you will keep the fish or release the fish.
Fourth consider your physical requirements or limitations.

On every salmon trip I have ever taken regardless if it is down the street or half way around the world I have always taken different rods with me so I would be prepared for every condition. If you plan on making ONE fly rod then you will need a multi-task rod that will specialize in nothing but offer you results for all the different conditions. If you have the means, don’t limit yourself. Build your rods to target specific conditions and you will have a higher success rate.
If you are intending to use a spinning outfit, I have always had fun with my 2-6lb. 10’6” slow action ultra light noodle rod. I am able to land salmon in the 25lb range. I was fishing pocket water with no higher than 385cfm. With my 9’6” 8-17lb fast action noodle rod I am able to fish under most conditions and catch any size fish. Each rod has its own characteristics that will produce. So get ready to catch fish and have tons of excitement. There’s nothing quite like it. Unless you were to catch an 18 inch rainbow on your favorite 3wt. fly rod.

Good Luck,
David Horrocks

Date: January 07, 2005 11:51AM

Emory:
Thanks for the information and the offer for the coffee and discussion, I will gladly take you up on it and will e-mail you when I get settled in up there.
Fred Murphy

Date: January 07, 2005 11:54AM

David: A lot of good information there, thanks a lot. Now I've got an idea of which way to go when I get started choosing a salmon rod.
Thanks again, Murf

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 07, 2005 11:30PM

Murf, you might as well edit that last post and add an "s" on the end of "salmon rod" right now; you know you ain't gonna build just one!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster