I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bushings
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 12:45PM

Once again, I just want to know your opinnion, this time regarding reel seats assembly.

Tom's book, page 24: "...Thoroughly coat the surfaces and sides of your arbors or bushings with the adhesive and slide the seat down over the assembly, totating it as you do so..." In this case, it seems that bonding is something like "seat to arbor" + "arbor to blank". Tom doesn't talk about large quantities of adhesive.

Flex Coat's book, page 13 (talking about tape bushings): "...leaving small 1/8 to 1/4 inch gaps between the bushings for epoxi glue. When using masking tape, it's important to realize that the tape is used only as a spacer - the attachment of the reel seat must be a strong bond of epoxy glue extending from the blank to the reel seat."..."(next page) glue the reel seat, putting plenty of epoxy in the gaps of the tape bushings"

I imagine second system, is only when using tape bushings, due to the fact that tape bushings are not solid. How can you make the epoxy to "wait" into the gaps while finishing to fill them?

If I use cork bushings, must I follow first or second bonding system?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bushings
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2005 04:26PM

Adding globs of adhesive doesn't add strength, just weight. The reason Flex Coat mentions filling the voids is to ensure the masking tape, which is not impervious to water and moisture, will not be affected should any such things get in there.

Thin glue lines are generally stronger than thick ones. This is certainly true with our liquid and gel type epoxies, which are ideal for mounting reel seats.

You may wish to take a good look at the new Flex Coat foam arbors. They're easy to use and don't cost much at all.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster