I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reelseats
Posted by: Mike Wolfe (---.icubed.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 12:19AM

I'm just getting ready to build my first flyrod and I was just hoping for some advice. I was wondering what are the advantages/downfalls of uplocking vs. downlocking reelseats. I bought a downlocking reelseat while not realizing it and I just don't think I will like it. It seems that if I use it then there will be a fairly unattractive section of threads in the area between the reel seat and the handle. I can deal with it not looking so hot but if there isn't much to gain with it over and uplocking version, then I might as well go with the uplocking. I'm a complete novice here. I have never used a downlocking reelseat so I have nothing to compare with. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reelseats
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 01:08AM

I prefer downlocking. The reel is farther back and generally balances the rod better. I also like the look of the end cap.

You can also figure out how many of the threads you need exposed to remove/install the reel and hide the rest of the threads under the grip.

Just make sure you prep the surface well before gluing the endcap.

Christian

Posted by: Shawn Moore (62.132.1.---)
Date: January 06, 2005 07:20AM

I use downlocking on all my freshwater trout fly rods. Just personal preference.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2005 07:20AM

What Christian has told you usually makes the most sense and yet if you look at factory rods most use the exact opposite. I doubt they could tell you why, other than "that's just the way we do it."

My only dislike for downlocking seats is that when you set the rod on end, you wind up putting your reel in the dirt, mud, on rocks, etc. Uplocking seats give you a little more length behind the seat and allows you to rest your rod/reel butt down on the end of the seat instead of the reel.

Of course, enterprising custom rod builders can overcome that with any number of butt extensions or the like. There are some seats that can be mounted in either direction and you might want to use one of those and do a test run with the seat tightly shimmed in both positions to see which one you prefer.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: January 06, 2005 10:58AM

Uplocking. Keeps the reel out of the gunk when you set it down (or, at least, tends to do a better job of it(....And I think it looks better, too.

Keith

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: January 06, 2005 11:02AM

Even though I don't build fly rods, uplocking looks better to me. Having fluff chucked before, the keeping crud off the reel thing is very true!!!

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: January 06, 2005 11:03AM

I am with Christian on this one, including burying the unneeded threads under the handle. You can get a big vinyl winding check to finish the spot where the threads go under the grip. Tom has a point about the reel getting in the mud, but the balance is generally better the further back you can get the reel and pocket caps look neat.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 01:00PM

Uplocking seats have been the fad for the last ten years or so. Personally I have always preferred downlocking for freshwater sized rods. It just looks "right" to me and also the reel balances the rod better in many cases. On a rod with a downlocking seat, the locking ring on the seat has a tendency to loosen up a bit while your fishing. Turning the seat around the other way solves this problem. This is theoretically why uplocking seats are in favor today. Personally, the loosening problem doesn't bother me. I just check it every now and then and retighten if necessary.

As for protecting the reel if you lay the butt on the ground - how dare you lay it on the ground!!!!

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: January 06, 2005 04:41PM

TN handles and RodWrap for me. LoL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster