I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

carbon kevlar blank/reel seat
Posted by: brian andrew (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 05, 2005 11:14AM

Greetings from Manchester uk, I have a pair of hand built rods, on carbon/kevlar blanks,they were fitted with fuji reel fit with a spring clip device,not screw winch, striking into a running carp the reel fell off...not for first time, so, after finding your site I removed the reel fits with a dremel, carefully as advised, i didnt even nick the blank, BUT, how do I remove the araldite off the blank(which was under the reel fit) and could i use fuji fps screw winch fitting of 22mm inside diameter,(the only ones I could source) when the rod diam is 19mm, what, if any, material should i use to build up the blank to ensure a sturdy and solid fit for the new fps fitting,and is araldite the best reel seat adhesive? thank you, Its my first rebuilding attempt, thank you,Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carbon kevlar blank/reel seat
Posted by: Greg DeFoe (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 12:55PM

The amount you need to build up to accept your reel seat is not much. Only 3mm overall or a1.5mm thick wrap of mesh tape or thread. I would use kevlar thread and wrap it as a scrim up and down the seat area until you have sufficient material for a good fit. As long as the araldite is sound I dont see any need to remove it. Once satisfied with the fit saturate with a good adhesive "Rod Bond" or "Flex Coat" and assemble should be fine.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: January 05, 2005 01:09PM

Rod Bond is best in my opinion, although I have used Araldite (30 minute and 1 hr) with good results. A little heat from a hair dryer (low setting) may help soften the leftover adhesive, which can then be carefully scraped off.

A few turns of 1/4 inch masking tape under the reel seat, spaced in bands about 1/2 inch apart will work fine. The reason we use a longer setting adhesive is the longer time gives you a chance to correct any screwups.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.177.119.13.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 04:33PM

If you're really bent on removing the araldite (I know I personally would myself) there are several ways to go about it depending on the pattern of the araldite. If I remember correctly, araldite doesn't have as much bend in it as some other epoxies when dried. Therefore, the stuff chips off pretty easily. I've had great success depending on the job at hand with a large blunt knife striking the araldite going witht he blank and not into it. If the araldite was improperly mixed and is indeed a touch soft, you'll have to break out miniature saws and sharp knives and go slowly and gently removing each island of epoxy. This is probably my least favorite part about refurbishing rods! Good luck and hope this helps!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster