I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt wraps, which rods?
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 06:06AM

I'm still waiting for the first books to come and it's possible I'll find the answer there, but time is running and I need some answers to my questions...

There will probably be more reasons, but I can easily imagine two of them to build your own rod:

- To have the rod of your dreams, reagrding performace, weight,...
- To have one of the most beautiful ones

In most cases reagarding first reason, it's important to get the lower weight (casting and spinning rods, for example) so I imagine butt wraps are not used then.

Are butt wraps used just in rods where weight is not important, like "beautiful" rods or trolling rods, for example?.

What's the weight increase in using these wrappings? is it negligible?

I imagine it's not significant regarding weight balance, because it's located near the gravity center... but, what about total weight?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt wraps, which rods?
Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.190.93.14.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 07:34AM

Daniel,
There are so many variations on butt wraps that it's difficult to absolutely answer your question in a short post. Obviously, the more thread used and the more epoxy used, the more additional weight added. The weight added might be slight, but this all depends on the eye of the beholder as to whether it's too much or not.

Some butt wraps consist of very little material such as simple diamond patterns wrapped onto a bare blank. Many people suggest wrapping some sort of underwrap before making a butt wrap which I do most of the time as well, but sometimes I simply scuff the blank and then start the butt wrap and so far so good. If you just make a simple diamond pattern on a bare blank, and your epoxy job is realy refined, the weight added should not be too much more than weaving in your name or something like that. That is, as long as your butt wrap isn't too terribly long!

Another idea is to use a separated rear grip and make your butt wrap in between the two rear grips. There are some other people on this site who also do this. It makes for an absolutely stunning rod.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 09:33AM

Daniel,
I would not worry too much about the weight of a decorative wrap in front of the handle unless it was a very light, high modulus blank and you are looking for that last incremental increase in efficiency. That little added weight directly in front of the handle of the rod will not have much effect unless the wrap is extremely long. Added weight has a much larger effect as it is added closer and closer to the tip. That same amount of added weight near the tip would have a very serious detremental effect.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 10:50AM

Chia-Chein Goh

Can you, or someoen else, please email me some links to pictures with the split butt grip with wrap that you described. I am getting the components together for a 11'6" Rainshadow Steelhead Float Rod for me and I think this would be awesome. But, I need to see what the experts have created to inspire my own creativity.

Thanks!

Domenic Federico
Defjam@core.com

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 11:15AM

There are several in the photo gallery - one of them had a feather inlay in the split area that looked great. Try searching the gallery if you have the time.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 11:15AM

Any of the big diameter rods are specially suited to decoartive thread are with butt wraps. Also, decoative weaves or patterns showing on the large guide wraps can make your work pretty unique.
Musky, S/W...the list goes on. It's something custom rod builder's do well to promote.

For fly rods, maybe less of butt wrap, but consider feather inlays or a subtle weave pattern of the fish species or personilation.
A holographic decal also makes a perfect addition in liew of an inlay or in conjucntion with a butt wrap or personalized area of the butt. Doesn't have to be big, but will stand out your work from the ordinary.

Consider also if you make ice rods and use a small portion above the foregrip for random pattern and colors of butt wrap for each rod to make it unique. Doesn't take much more than about 1/2 hour of time using diamond, chevron, or 'mixed' patterns with, or without metallic. You'de be surprised at the comments to get on these.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

info@rodreel.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 11:46AM

Daniel,

Check your e-mail

Mike

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.177.119.13.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 04:43PM

Federico,
I'm not sure how to upload photos onto the board and the photo gallery was under "construction" when I tried to view it before posting here. So, here are the ideas that I have in mind when approaching a separated rear grip rod that I'm going to do a butt wrap in between.

First, decide how long you want your total rear grip to be. Then, decide how much of what part of it is really going to be used. the middle section that isn't touched is where I do the butt wrap. For my last rod, the bottom of the rear grip was seven inches followed by a five inch gap and then the top of the rear grip was four inches. So, first I installed the bottom section and then the top. Because the rod was done in blue and silver accents over black, I chose blue and silver as my primary colors and added a flash of red over a black underwrap. It was a simple four entry diamond wrap...nothing fancy. You may wish to have a shorter rear grip area than me or longer. Doesn't matter so long as it's fully functional to your needs and its looks fit your style.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster