I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread pick
Posted by: john petrovsky (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 10:56AM

does anybody know where i can get a good pick. i broke two gudebrod picks in one mounth. it's not the two bucks, it's the fact that they broke in the middle of a wrap and you just can't run down to the local walmart to pick one up. any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread pick
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 11:34AM

Try searching the web for dental picks. They are much stronger and you can get them in a variety of shapes. Some hobby stores sell them I think.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 11:56AM

My dentist is an avid fisherman; he saves a few for me all of the time. I get 'em cleaned twice a year and I've got a good collection...of picks and all my teeth-still in my mouth!!!

I think if you talk to a dentist and explain what you're doing, you could pick up a few.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 12:03PM

I got a set of five metal ones from Harbor Freight cheap. Don't know how long they will last. Probably most of these online tool outfits have them. I also have a Gudebrod-never had a problem with breakage.

Ed

Date: January 04, 2005 12:14PM

ed what does harbor frieght call these picks

Date: January 04, 2005 02:20PM

Ed hit the nail on the head, i just can back from harbor fieght and they have a pick just like the gudebrod pick except it is all metal.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 03:37PM

When you are at Walmart check out the tools section for a set of metal picks--stanley etc.

Posted by: Jim Smith (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 05:11PM

Also look at your local Army Navy surplus store. I picked up several very well made picks and surgery tools for about $1.00 each.

Jim Smith

Posted by: Greg Tucker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 05:26PM

I did a search but... Are picks used to tuck in the end of the thread? I have trouble with this. I bend a saftey razor and trim close, but slill get a "fuzzy" I tried triming before pulling end under wrap, but have a hard time with it. How is this tool used?
Thanks in advance..

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 05:56PM

Greg,
I use them for doing just that. If I get an errant tag, I use a pick to sort of pull it under the wraps. I also use them on touch up packing of buttwraps and weaves. Great for grabbing single threads.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 07:04PM

Are other guys using a pick to pack threads in butt wraps? THere is a much better tool for this makde out of a 1/8" & 1/4" Aluminum rod with a triangular shape on one end.

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 09:53PM

I went to a hardware store and bought a package of large sewing needles used for sewing heavy material and feed sacks. I cut a handle out of a pice of scrap wood, drilled a hole in the end, filled it ewith epoxy and inserted the large needle. It has a large handle to fit my blacksmith hands and is strong yet pointed enough to make an excellent pick.

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: January 06, 2005 11:24AM

Home Depot sells a set of 3 stainless steel picks for around $15.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster