I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip Question
Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: January 04, 2005 10:17AM

I am sure like most, when I first started learning how to build rods several years ago, I went over the deep end. I must have build 15 rods in the first winter. Unfortunately, I made a big mistake with many of the rods. Being a bigtime surf fisherman, many of the rods built were for the beach and jetties. However, I also built numerous rods for the boat. My big mistake, was using cork tape for grips on these conventional boat rods. Some of these rods are still in great shape and have some unique and time consuming wraps. Rather than break them down and re-build to allow for new grips, I was looking for suggestions on other options. I was thinking of trying to wrap at least one or two additional layers of cork tape on the existing grip, and then installing flocked shrink tube over top. My intention is to increase the OD of the grip to allow a more balanced feel. I would imagine cutting the reel seat and existing cork tape off and working from the butt end would leave too much room for failure with all the shimming needed? Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip Question
Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 10:48AM

Why not try a rattan wrap over the existing grip if it's structurally sound? Visit Golden Witch's (sponsor at left) for info on rattan grips and do some searching for previous discussions on the board to get a feel for what's required.

~Jackie

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: January 04, 2005 11:01AM

I don't think you'll have a problem with what you want to do Shawn. More cork tape will increase the diameter. Depending on how much more you want to increase it, you could spiral cord up or up and down and then apply the shrink tube. That will give an interesting texture to the grip. You could also remove the cork tape and install one of the smooth butts or graphite sleeves instead. These could be shimmed with drywall tape and easily applied from the butt end.

Date: January 04, 2005 02:32PM

Jackie, thanks for the response and idea. Although the rattan would increase the grip OD 3 times as fast as additional layers of cork tape, I am not sure the look or feel would my style. I will continue to look into it to see if there is an application I can use it for. Grant, I considered the cord, but felt a flatter grip might work better and the shrink tube is flocked therefore eliminating the need for cord to aid in gripping. The smooth butt would work for the butt end, but I suppose my main focus would be the foregrip with the butt end getting done for symmetry reasons. Thanks again.

Date: January 04, 2005 06:45PM

I wasn't thinking about the foregrip, thats another problem. If you are considering cutting the grips and seat off you can make an entire handle assembly and fit it the existing section just as if you were adding an extension. That was covered well in Rodmaker (sorry, don't know which issue). You get a new handle and the same rod with little or no noticeable difference in action. Cork can also be slit and mounted for the foregrip. Bob Balcombe does that, he may chip in. I think the cork has to be soaked or something, but it works.

Date: January 05, 2005 11:16AM

Grant, thanks for the reply. I suppose an extension is an option, but I would be very curious to hear from Bob to see what technique he uses to split and install the cork. Ideally that's what I want on the grips. Any idea if that topic was covered at any point in a past issue of rodmaker or an a forum here? Thanks again!

Date: January 06, 2005 11:38AM

Shawn, I'm not real sure how he does it. I've e-mailed him asking him to get in touch with you. If that doesn't work, it goes something like this...bore the ring to the size you need, soften it for a while, perhaps in hot water, then split through one side to the center. CAREFULLY, fit the split around the blank, Rod Bond the split and the ring, clamp and you should be good to go. If I remember, it may waste a few rings depending on how soft you can get them. An alternative would be bore rings to the correct diameter and then split them in half, Rod Bond them on the blank (could alternate the joints) and clamp. With a good, fine tooth saw or blade, the joints would not be very noticable. I may try a scrap piece tonight just to see if that'll work.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 02:38PM

Shawn go to search and type in cork repair under Bob Balcombe. The whole method should be there. If you can't find it I well email you the system. I tried emailing you and it cam back.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: January 07, 2005 03:12PM

Bob, thank you for your reply! I tried a couple variations on the search, and the only thing I am getting back is your above post. I'll continue to try, but in the event you have the time to send me email, that would be great. I usually use my work email and some people can get through while others can't. Has something to do with the filtering on our SMTP server. In any event, the email I signed on with this reply is my personal account, shawnmtaylor2004@yahoo.com
I look forward to reading the information.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster