I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning Rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 10:04AM

Help Please. Don't do many of these and need starting point. I have read all the stuff on set up by Tom in the Library and by Fuji on their site on New Concept.

1. 6' 6" medium bass spinning rod for under pier work - no long casts. Using a Matrix blank which is not real light to start with.

2. I don't have the reel or know which one he is using - gift. I think it is a Shimano 4000. I do not have one to set up the table edge test.

3. I have a Double foot 30 Amtak Gold Ring and a Single foot 25 Amtak Gold Ring. I have heard this guy complain about line slap before. Which of these two guides would you use to set up another reel. If the 25 rings looks OK set at 26.5 inches from the seat would it be OK. The 30 sits a lot closer but it weighs a ton.

4. For the tip end guides I have Amtak fly 7s and V Frame 6s and 7s. Which of the two issues is more important - lower line or weight - the Amtaks are lower but really a lot heavier than the V frames.

If you have been there done that any advice would really be helpful.

Thanks Bill Stevens

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning Rod
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: January 04, 2005 10:15AM

I think I would try to stay with any of the guides to keep the weight down as much as possible. For being able to cast under docks with a skip cast, you want this rod to be as responsive as possible. The least amount of weight added to this kind of rod would be best.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 10:39AM

You really should find out the size of the reel for sure before you proceed. I for one would always use a 2000 (or the new 2500) size reel for bass fishing with a 6'6". Bass don't make long runs and you don't need the extra line (and weight) of a 4000. Exception is if he is using heavier line than usual for a spinning rod. So find out. Then, if it's a 2000 or 2500, a size 25 guide is all you need. If a 4000, it's borderline, I would test cast. Yes the 30 is heavy, but it's set far from the tip, so I'd go by the test-casting results.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.69.0.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 03:56PM

If you can find out what size line he will be using you may be able to figure what reel he will use?? Then if you can borrow one to set it up??

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.69.0.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 03:58PM

Then again the single foot will weigh a lot less!!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 05:05PM

If you can't use a reel, I would put the "intersect" guide where the blank flexes 90 degrees. I would definately go with the single foot 25 maybe a 12, 10 and fly 6's(or 7's to the tip.
No need to use double foots on a spinning rod, even for musky IMO

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2005 05:05PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 08:53AM

I also agree that the shimano 4000 reel woudl be oversized for a medium power bass rod. The 2000 size or the new AVID St. Coix 1500 size would be ideal with probably a good quality 8 lb. copolymer line for a spinning setup to work well on a custom (or factory) rod.

Using double foot high frame guides is overkill for a medium power bass spinning rod. It adds unnecessary weight and winding. Use single foot guides and go with some good quality ceramic ring material like the zirconia, alconite, or SiC.

I wouldn't think you'de need larger than size 6 ring guides going to the tip if you line up for your concept setup. I'de guess size 30 single foot butt guide, followed by a 16, 10, 8, and then low frame fly single foot 6's with a 6 ring tip.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

info@rodreel.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster