I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sugical Tubing for holding guides
Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2005 10:44AM

I have seen many posts about using surgical tubing to hold your guides in place. I have been using strips of masking tape so far with minimal problems. My question is do you cut the surgical tubing in strips or in rings and use some type of needle nose plier to open the rings when placing on the blanks?

Thanks
Fernando

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sugical Tubing for holding guides
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 03, 2005 10:55AM

i have not used surgical tubing. i use small zip ties used for keeping bundles of wire together. they are easy to use. hold well and can be moved when needed. i clip them off with diagonal cutting pliers by cutting the little junction block. never hurts the blank. the smallest size leaves the tip of the guide foot open so you can wrap about 15 turns of thread and then remove the tie with your dikes.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.23.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 03, 2005 11:12AM

I wet and then ty on rubber bands

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.193.---)
Date: January 03, 2005 12:43PM

You don't need surgical tubing, just the latex tubing used for model airplanes, get several diameters, cut rings and slide them down the rod (before you put the tip on) untill they are snug in the area you want the guide to be, slide the guide under the ring. Once the guide is wrapped down enough to hold the guide, just slit the ring with a #11 Exacto blade knife along the guide foot and up away from the blank. I make rings with a Widget, single edge razor blade in a hideaway holder.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.178.174.129.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 03, 2005 12:48PM

You can also use elastic thread that can be found at any store that sells sewing stuff. Cut of s short piece and tie the guide on and then touch it with a razor blade after you have wrapped up the guide foot a ways and it comes right off.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2005 02:27PM

Hi Fernando,

To answer your question - cut the surgical tubing in bands with a knife, cutters, razor blades, etc. You must be think of something different than Surgical tubing. Surgical tubing is the same as latex tubing. After you cut the tubing into whatever width bands you like just roll the bands onto the guide feet. Works great.

Hope that helps

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 03, 2005 02:53PM

The reason I use tubbing is when I readjust the guides I just slide them where I need them. I also just wrap up to them and snip the rubber off. I make mine acording to the size of the guide so the average is about a 1/8 of a inch thick.I get a verity of sized tubbing and cut a bunch of rings while whatching the 6 Oclock News. I being from the Washingtom State get my tubing from a sporting goods or hadware store. Up here we use the tubbing for drift lead holders, Cut a small peace of lead put it into a tub, hook the tub to a snap ring and cast out
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2005 04:32PM

I use the surgical tubing method, here's how I work it.
First, I get my tubing from MudHole, get both sizes, small for the tip section and the larger size for the butt section. Second, I cut it into 1/8 inch bands using an "anvil" type pruning shear NOT the scissor type but anvil, where the cutting blade comes down and meets a flat surface, if you can get the Craftsman "Handi-cut" it's the best for this. Third, I use a needle nosed plier that is bent at a 90 degree angle, Harbor Tools 99 cents, to pick up and spread open the bands then while the band is still on the plier I carefully slide the band into position. CAUTION needs to be exercised here as there maybe sharp edges on the pliers and you wouldn't want gouges and cuts into the rod surface. You'll find when you place the bands over the foot of most guides you'll position the band on the back 1/3 of the foot near the "elbow". If placed too far back the toe will rise up and make it difficult to begin the wrap up the ramp.

tight lines and good wraps,
David A. Fuller
Great Basin Fishing Rods

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 03, 2005 05:34PM

After trying lots of methods, my vote is for tubing. Model/hobby shops have it in different diameters. I cut up a ton of little pieces and just slide them on to the blank. Quick and easy to put on and I can't think of a quicker way to move/adjust the guides while testing. A quick nick with a razor ant they fly off.

Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2005 06:55PM

Some of the tubing they sell for putting on hooks is NOT what you want to use, as it will split. The good stuff is tan/yellowish and very flexible. I used to buy it in 3 different thicknessess & that worked for everything from 4 tip fly rods to Tuna & surf rods. No need tfor pliers or anythign like that, just slide them on teh blank & roll them into place.

Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2005 09:08PM

Thanks for all the input, I will be experimenting with different diameters in the very near furture. I did have some tubing that I used on lures but it is very small in diameter. I will be ordering different
sizes.

Fernando

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: January 04, 2005 04:46PM

No need to order the tubing - just visit your local medical supply store! It's cheap, buy it by the foot. Just use a razor blade or scissors, no need to be exact - cut some real thin ones and cut some fat ones. You'll soon learn what size to use. I typically use only 3 bands for an entire rod. Just keep sliding them up the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster