I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Little crick sticks: 3pce
Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: January 01, 2005 01:53PM

Maybe a little weird, but I notice all the short, light fly rods are all 2 pce, or 4 and 5 piece. Can't seem to find many in the 3 piece configuration, like , say 7 ft, 3 pce, 3/4 weight, with, for argument's sake, a mod-fast action.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Little crick sticks: 3pce
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.228.117.18.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 02:29PM

Ted,your question is probably best answered by the manufacturers as to why they don't make them.
As for a potential solution in the meantime,try one of the "TigerEye" blanks(or any other) in the 4 pc. configuration.Just drop the butt section. I am sure the retail sponsors can advise you of any change to the action. I have bought two matching Tiger Eyes and made one as a four piece and used the third section as a separate butt to give a customer some flexibility in length.So far,no negative reports and they have been enjoyed by the recipients.As an added bonus,I have replacement sections should the need arise to replace a broken one.Its an easy "warranty" kind of thing for me. It also allows for two different reel seats to be used,adding yet another "custom" option.
This probably bears asking,but why the need for a 3 piece? What is the problem with a four or even five piece rod?
As a last resort,you could start with a one piece blank or even two identical one piece blanks,if cost is not an issue. The method of doing this is detailed in Clemens' book,Advanced Custom Rodbuilding.There has even been an article by Ralph O'Quinn on making ferrules in Rodmaker.I believe it is also in the online library here.
Best wishes....Chuck

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: January 01, 2005 03:03PM

Less pieces to put together after a long hike in.

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.s)
Date: January 01, 2005 03:04PM

Dan Crafts Five Rivers Signature V series are 3 piece. He has a 8'4" 3wt and a 8'9" 3/4 wt. They are sweet blanks.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 01, 2005 03:17PM

what is the action/feel of the Sig V and how does it compare to the Sig III? can anybody clue me in? i've used a temple fork professional 9 foot, 5 weight, four piece the most listed as a mdeium/fast. perhaps someone can use that for comparison. waitasecond. i'm being lazy. i'll bet the CCS database has those figures. still maybe someone can offer their take on the "feel" in actual use.

i also have a BK Rod, medium action 4 weight in a nine foot length which has more of a medium action than the TFO. i like the more medium action for my small streams around here. i currently have a 7'-9" 3 weight rainshadow under construction. but this rodbuilding is addictive and i've talked myself into believing one cannot have too many rods. especially if i'm making them myself.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Pat Ryan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 01, 2005 03:42PM

I am in the process of building a 3piece 3 wt. got the blank from Global Dorber. I am very happy with the blank, but it is only my first build and not sure how it stacks up to other blanks. I did a search of this nessage board for dorber and the comments made were favorable. very affordable and the kit comes with good hardware and a nice rod sock and alum. rod case. their support when I have emailed them has been very fast ann my wife said (the blank was a gift) that they were great to deal with on the phone.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 04:37PM

Batson Enterprises - Rainshadow/Forecast has a 8'4wt 3pc that would work realy nice. We will be shipping our new 40 page blank catalog out next week with over 360 models to choose from. Contact one of our many distributors or us if you have any questions. I will post more in regards to our programs later..
Bill Batson..

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 04:57PM

St. Croix makes a SCIII model 3FT664, 6' 6" 3-piece 4wt. Moderate -Fast action, matte gray.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.228.117.68.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 06:10PM

Sounds like our Cheeseman and Waterton Canyons here or even the RMNP.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 10:38PM

I see that Gloomis still makes a 7'6" 3wt 3pc in their (IMX) Slate series. A few years ago I bought a Gloomis GLX 7' 3wt 3pc from Bingham Enterprises and it is my favorite small stream rod. Too bad Gloomis quit offering the GLX series blanks to rodbuilders.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster