I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ferrule alignment dots
Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 09:00AM

I really like ferrule alignment dots. Is there any good way to make a perfectly round circle? I'm sure I could not freehand it. What type of ink would you use?
Thanks,
Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ferrule alignment dots
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2004 09:04AM

Volume 6 #1 issue of RodMaker had an article on the many varied ways to create unique ferrule alignment dots - thread, feathers, ink, etc. Plenty of ways to do this and most are much better than simple dots, which aren't as easy to align as other marks.

If you want to make nice circles, you need only dip the tip of a small pin head into your paint or ink and then touch it to the blank. You'll have a very nice round dot as a result.

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 10:29AM

Thanks Tom. I will look at that article. The pin head is a great simple idea also. I'll probably go that route as it is the simplest.
Greg

Posted by: Vance Corbett (---.frbgva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 07:07PM

Greg... The sewing pins that have the little round plastic balls on the head work really well for this... Best, Vance

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.111.adsl.snet.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 08:35PM

I realy like to use jungle cock eye feathers , the shaft of the eyes line up nice when installed right, which can be tricky . I think they also add a little class . Kate at Siskyou Aviary sells them in bags at a very reasonable price.....nice little ones , perfect for this. John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.0.122.224.adsl.snet.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 10:05PM

Some of us have ordered small dot decals from Decal Connection. We had sheets made up with rows of several sizes and colors of dots. They look very good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster