I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank straightness
Posted by: Steven Penzes (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 12:56AM

I have recently begun building fly rods. My first serious blank was an All Star Austin 9'5wt which is arrow straight. I went through the steps to spine and align the sections and the result is very good rod that I'm happy with. My second attempt was a 6'3wt. The blank (which cost more than the AllStar) was not nearly as straight. So much so that spining was not an option. I had to align the sections to minimize the curvature. Given that this is meant to be a small stream rod, I'm not overly concerned about not being able to spine the rod. This did however lead me to think about what is an acceptable amount of deviation in a rod.

I'm looking for opinions on what is acceptable and how one would measure it. For example: let's assume I accurately spine each section of a blank and then align the marks. Case 1: If all of the errors line up then the blank simply has a curve in it. Case 2: The errors line up so that the maximum occurs in the middle (ie it looks like a bow). So if we use the example of my 6' 3 section rod. Would you be sending back the blank if the maximum error was a 1/4" at the tip (case 1) or in the middle (case 2)? What if the error is an 1/8" or a 1/2"?

Just curious.

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank straightness
Posted by: Steven Daley (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 01:02AM

If a blank is so curved that it truly bothers me, i always see if i can exchange/return it. Since most of my rods are personal rods, it would slowly chap my behind if i keep on looking at it knowing that the curve was there. I guess its all in the eye of the beholder though.

steve

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2004 08:55AM

Nearly all blanks have a natural curve or warp and rarely is it in line with the same axis as the effective spine.

If you start sending blanks back because they have a bit of a curve or warp, you're going to be sending a lot of them back - most of them in fact. A 6' blank that is out of straight by 1/4 inch at the tip is, for all intents and purposes, a very straight rod blank.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.177.118.195.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 31, 2004 05:42PM

Tomn is right. Also, if you build the rod correctly, many of them somehow straighten out quite a bit. I've found this phenomenon to hold true for almost every rod blank I've built so far. It's kinda neat how they come out of the tube all screwed up with angles going this way and that, but after wrapping on the guides in the right places and such, the blank seems to straighten out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster