I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Traditional guide placement
Posted by: Patrick Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 04:10PM

Hey guys might you guys have any instructions for the traditional placement i would do they new concept but i dont have the right guides so i will need some instructions for the old guide system any help will be appreciated..also in both of my books it only discusses the new concept system

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Traditional guide placement
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2004 04:27PM

There really isn't anything to it really. And I've always been surprised that we didn't realize just how poor it was.

Well, start with a ring size that is about 1/2 the diameter of your reel's spool diameter. On freshwater set ups, put the butt guide about 10 to 23 inches past the reel spool. On larger saltwater type set ups, put the butt guide about 21 to 26 inches (further on really large reels) past the reel spool. Now set the rest of the guides in a progressive fashion towards the tip. Go through the range of guides such as - 40 • 30 • 25 • 20 • 16 • 12 • 10 and 8, plus top. Start with the ring size mentioned above. Do a static distribution test to ensure you have enough guides and that they are properly placed. The go out and do some test casting. Move the butt guide up an inch or so and see what your best distance is. Keep moving it in the direction until you no longer gain any distance. Then go back to the starting point and begin moving it the opposite direction and see what distances you can record. Move it only until you no longer get any more distance. Once you locate the point where it gives you your best distance, set it there and adjust the rest of the guides as needed.

For casting rods, use the static distribution method on the library page.

Date: December 30, 2004 09:11PM

yes i know i have heard that the traditional way gives less casting and accuracey but i dont have the aproiapte guides t the the fuji convential way and thank you for the help by they way this is my first rod

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 12:07AM

Patrick,
There really is no traditional placement of guides. There are general placement charts, which are a good starting point. I assume you are working on a kit? If so, and assuming you got it from a reputable source, just do a static distribution test and you'll be fine.

I use the concept system for my own stuff but I'm still nervous a bit for other people. I don't like building a rod based on a reel, when the reel may change. I like the idea, but I'm really stuck on the fence when I think that people will probably change reels someday.

Date: December 31, 2004 02:00AM

True but i dont have any other guides as i said before and this is my first rod

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.177.118.195.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 31, 2004 05:46PM

Pat,
It sounds like you're referring to the all-purpose guides. You can use those for concept guides jsut fine only that it elevates the plane of your line flow. On some rod blanks, that actually increases your casting distance! Go ahead and use the concept system with your all-purpose guides. In the Hardloy guides, Fuji sells the all-purpose guides for the concept spacing. No need to fret. Let us know how it turns out!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster