I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9ft casting rod recommendations
Posted by: Lon Nalder (---.du.pinetel.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 02:21PM

I am building a Shikari 906ST casting rod rated for 10-20 pound line. Can any of you out there get me started on the right path. What would be a good guide set up? Pac Bay high frame guides (GTVHG) to minimize line slap? What about the Fuji Alconite (BMNAG) guides? Also what about size. Should the butt guide be a size 16 or 20? What size should I end up with? Should the tip be a size 6 or 7? I'll use the static test to determine where and how many (probably around 10 guieds).
Next I plan to use a 13" rear cork grip as it is just past my elbow. Would a 5" fore grip be good for hanging on to those big salmon?
What about an exposed trigger reel seat? How do they compare to the regular reel seat?
The reel I will be using will probably be either the Shimano Cardiff 300, the Okuma Induron 400 or the Garcia 6500C4. Yet to purchase it. Thanks for all your help. Your knowledge and experience sure helps me. Some day I might catch up to you guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9ft casting rod recommendations
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: December 30, 2004 02:55PM

I would use the Alconite guides, but I would deffinately go with a spiral wrap with them. Would take a few more guides because of the transition guides. For the butt guide, I would use the line path tell you what is best to use but I would guess a 16 would be more than big enough. For the rest of the guides, I would go as small as you can but still allow a knot to slide through the guide, and that will be determined by the line you use. For the fore grip, I would make it so it was comfortable in my hand. A 5 inch grip would work for me, but my be big for you.

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 02:58PM

I would think you could get away with a 16 for your first guide as the line comes off the Abu 6500's fairly low. Now this is just my backward approach since I am relatively new to building myself but when I build a new style of rod I am usually building a "custom" version of a rack rod that I have. I'll measure guide and handle sizes and see where I can improve them if possible. It at least gives me a starting point and then I run with it from there.

5" foregrip is plenty unless you use a belt and like to place both hands above the reel on those hard runs or just hold higher for leverage on the really big fish. I personally don't but have seen quite a few people do it on both Tuna and Salmon boats. Might be a consideration based on who will be using the rod. Most of my rods of this type have 6" foregrips but they are all off the rack.

None of my heavier rods have the exposed trigger seats, just the lighter versions for bass fishing where I think feel is a little more important. I'd let your need for 'feel" determine if you need an exposed seat.

Posted by: Spencer Phippss (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 07:03PM

The Abu Garcia reel foot will fit a blank exposed reelseat with no problems, it's the same size as the small bass reels use. Not sure about the others, as I've never used them.
I'd set it up as Mike suggested.
If you go with the exposed blank reelseat, I would look for a slimmer foregrip to help balance the look of the smaller diameter reelseat.
All the best to you and yours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster