I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How much to file guide feet?
Posted by: Brett Gore (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 07:28PM

I just completed my first fly rod. I was pleasantly suprised at how well it turned out, but I still have a question on filing guide feet.
When I wrapped my guides, what seemed to be most effective for a good looking wrap was to wrap up to the point of the guide foot, then move the wrap up onto the guide foot (but not tight against the other wraps) for several turns. I would then use my fingernail to nudge the wraps down tight to the previous wraps and continue on in the normal manner.
Is this typically necessary, or did I just not file my guide feet enough? I was a little concerned with getting overly aggresive with them and doing more harm than good.
Also, any harm in using a Dremel tool on the guide feet as long as you're very careful?
Thanks in advance for all your help,
Brett

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much to file guide feet?
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 09:25PM

End of guide feet knife sharp with a gentle slope toward the ring. I use sanding disks in my Dremel as it allows very good control of how much you take off and where. Easier to do small guides also.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 09:50PM

The May/June issue of Rodmaker had the best thing ever written on good foot preparation if you are interested. If you have to push it up the foot then you did not shape it to a shallow enough angle. Just taper it a bit more next time.

A dremel tool will work but is very slow. A rubber sanding pad with a 120 grit disk in a drill will make quick work of this job.

Posted by: Wes Wyatt (---.nas26.somerville1.ma.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: March 09, 2002 10:35PM

Brett,
I'll never use a file again on the top of the guide feet, after finding the scotch- brite wheel. Tapering the guide feet is a professionally looking result.I made a guide grinding holder to help keep your fingers away from the wheel. Bingham Enterprises have the unified wheel.Hope this was some help.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 10:52PM

I have been using the unified wheel for polishing but can't imagine using it for grinding. I don't think it will take off any metal. I use the sanding disk for shaping and then quickly follow with the unified wheel to polish out the burrs and sharp edges. I agree that it works wonders and in just seconds.

Posted by: Wes Wyatt (---.nas31.somerville1.ma.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 05:22AM

I found these sanding disc with a scotch-brite finish from a machine shop supply store. I couldn't believe they would grind the guide feet but they do. The courser ones would actually burn through a brass boat guide.You are correct the unified wheel would be just for the polishing.

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 08:06AM

Brett,

You should "dress" each guide foot with a unified wheel or a file if that's what you've got and you should be able to wrap continuosly into the end of the foot and up and across. This will not garantee a perfect transition from the blank to guide foot. While making a wrap sometimes you have to stop and "pack" the threads to keep them tight against each other. When the wrap is finished and the tag end is cut off flush, I always then "burnish" the wrap by gently rubbing a round burnishing tool across the wrap, 360 degrees around. William C. mentioned an article in Rodmaker. Order the back issue if you can.

Bill Doherty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster