I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide wrap distance
Posted by: Michael H Kennedy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 06:59PM

Is there a minimal distance that a wrap can start in front of the guide foot? Lets say like, it should atleast start an 1/8 before the foot to be effective. I was shaping a guide foot and that question just presented it's self, Hmmm I wonder. So here I am. Lets see what you guys come up with. Thanks. Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide wrap distance
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 10:55PM

I see lots of factory rods that start just off the edge. So it really should not matter if you go an inch or a thousandth of an inch. I have been altering my wraps as I go back down the rod. At the tip end I start back 1mm from the foot. On the next guide I go 2mm. Then the next one I go 3mm and so forth on back. I don't think you want to go too long especially near the tip or you get extra weight that could affect the performance even to a small degree.

Posted by: Harold Tanner (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 03:40AM

I personally think visual balance is what you should be after when wraping the guide and spacing the wraps. Therefore all wraps should begin the same distance from the guide foot regardless of guide size. Of course the wrap will be shorter as you get to smaller guides. I usually vary mine on each rod depending on the type. Less than 1/4 inch or about that usually works for me. That few turns of thread don't weigh much and I like the effect because I sometimes run a metallic thread across the wrap in a spiral fashon. For instance a flyrod, in my opinion should have very small, neat, no trim, wraps. Very close to the guide foot. Casting and spinners have more room to play with so I lay on more thread and a little trim. Visual balance is what I'm after so I still keep the same number or wraps ahead of the foot and all trim the same. In other words, the smaller the blank the smaller and neater guides should appear. "Go for it" on big boat rods.

Capt. Harold

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 10:20AM

On all my freshwater and most saltwater rods, I now start each wrap about 3 thread widths off the foot end. The wraps are shorter and look fine. The only time I make them any longer is if I intend to put an inlay in the wrap before it reaches the guide foot.

Any part of the wrap that is off the end of the foot is only cosmetic and serves no real functional purpose. I once thought about starting all my wraps a few mm's past the foot end. Yes, having the wrap only on the guide foot and having the foot end exposed. That would eliminate cracking at the guide foot edge. In the end, I decided it might be impossible to keep water/moisture out from under the wrap with that type arrangement however. I have not tried it, but intend to at some point just to see for myself if it might work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster