I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork ?'s
Posted by: Aaron Sappenfield (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 03:06PM

so im gonna pick ur guys' brains a little more. this time on cork. im wondering which grade of cork rings are sufficient to make a beautiful handle, but not overkill where ur paying a lot extra for small differences in quality. what grade of cork do you guys usually use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork ?'s
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.vitalchek.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 03:23PM

AAA.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 03:41PM

Beauty of cork is in the eyes of the beholder. I personally like imperfections in it; perfect cork is too plain to my liking. Much like a good grainy or burled wood, cork imperfections add that character that just plain pleases my eye.

Junk is junk, tho...

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2004 04:03PM

Well, this is hard to answer because there is no universal standard for grade quality. One company's AAA is another's Flor, is anothers "Super." The terms aren't even universal.

*(But they will be soon! A universal grading system is about to be introduced and will at least allow builders to compare cork quality by relative means.)

For the most part, if you take whatever any supplier's top grade is, and drop back one grade from that, you've gone about as low as you'll want to go for a nice handle. Dropping back any farther may well put you into cork that is so pitted that you may find it uncomfortable in the hand.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 04:35PM

If you want to build a beautiful handle, obtain the best cork you can afford. That way you are nearly certain to make a grip that is of better quality than one you can purchase already assembled. This assumes, of course, that you won't experience a great deal of waste in the process.

When I restarted building rods recently, I got away from making my own grips and purchased 7" fly grips that looked fairly good after the manufacturer filled (temporarily) the many voids in the cork. These grips were priced from $22 - $26 each. I was disappointed.

The two grips I turned this week were made from cork that cost > $1.50 for each ring. So my price was nearly that of pre-made grips, but the quality was better. I see my effort as free time used to enhance the looks of my fly rods, so I don't put a value on my time. Even at $2.00 per ring I still prefer to make my own. This morning I chunked off a poor looking grip and installed my own style grip and am much happier with the appearance.

Happy turning,

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 05:12PM

I prefer the beauty of a handle made from Burl cork with a couple of coats of Tru Oil on it to really bring out the grain! I think that it's very striking in appearance and best of all, every ring is consistant quality/appearanc and it's relatively inexpensive.

It is a slight bit heavier, but IMO not enough to make a difference

Mike

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 05:59PM

Agree with Mike that burl cork looks good. But be aware that virtually all of the "burl cork" you buy these days is a composite, and it is not as durable as natural cork. It is very prone to damage by physical shock. I learned that the hard way. It hold up better when you alternate the burl material with regular cork sections, that looks good too. When you do that, the burl should not be any of the end sections. I suppose cork finishes would improve the durability, but I don't use them, prefer the feel of unfinished handles.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 06:40PM

Aaron,
I should have added that if you're just getting into making your own grips with cork rings, buying lower grade rings is recommended while you experiment with technique.

Didn't want to send you out to purchase the best cork to learn on. Many of the mechanics of rodbuilding have learning curves associated with them.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: December 29, 2004 08:18PM

I have been buying cork for years from a certain supplier. I purchase their highest grade. Usually end up paying about .60 - .70 per ring. I then make two sorts. The finest rings, mostly clear, go to cane rods. Using the best will set your rods apart as most of the high-end rods today do not have the best cork available. A grip constructed of clear cork is soooo smooooth in the hand! Good cork will also be quite pale in color, nearly creamy white. Beautiful!

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 08:27PM

Aaron,
The quality of cork will vary a good deal not only from supplier to supplier but over time. If you try to find good cork each time you build a rod you are going to run into a lot of problems. I think that the best approach is to constantly keep your eyes open for good cork and when you run into some buy a lot more than you need at the time. It may be a little painful at the time but if you start your own little cork stash you will have good cork when you need it.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2004 09:40PM

It will be possible to browse something like 25,000 cork rings at the National Rod Builders Show in Charlotte. The one way to be sure of what you're getting, is to see and feel it before you buy it.

Posted by: lane cobb (---.ev1.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 11:47AM

In regard to the degrading quality of cork, if the crash ratings for cars was done the way cork is, I can see this scenario:
"We give this vehicle a 5-star rating this year. 2 years ago it would be a 3-star, but it is the best this year"
I certainly hope a universal grading system gets adopted.
The current sliding scale for cork stinks.

The thrill is not in the kill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster