I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay N Guides
Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 10:54AM

What are your thoughts about using Pac Bay Type N guides for casting rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay N Guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2004 11:05AM

If you're talking about the guides I think you're talking about, I always thought it was a superior design, although somewhat poorly implemented. But I haven't used any since the early 90's I'd guess. With a little better radiusing of the frame, better plating/anodizing and better rings, this would be my guide of choice for both casting and spinning rods. It's just a very flexible design. I wasn't aware they were still in production. If they are, they may be much better now than they were then. But it's always been a great design.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2004 11:06AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 12:07PM

I've been using these for years; like them a lot on my personal rods and customer's rods.

Putter

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 12:43PM

Marc
I might add that the ring material for these is available in quite a few different ones. Also, I build walleye rods, so these have only seen fresh water; I couldn't tell you what salt water and the plating would be like...

Putter

Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 01:16PM

Yes, they still make these NGH guides, Tom. But they mainly tout them as fly rod strippers. I couldn't see why they wouldn't work well for Bass, Pike, and even Musky rods. Thanks for both of your input. Marc

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2004 02:11PM

Oh they do work well for nearly all applications. Very flexible, at least compared to the standard type guides of that genre.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.olypen.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 02:30PM

Hi Marc,

Our model "N" guides work well in all applications, and come with various frame finishes and ring styles. They were designed as a lighter alternative for fly rod stripper guides, of light spinning.

The frames come in Bright Chrome, Black, Gold, and TiCH.

Rings available are Aluminum Oxide, Hialoy, SiC, or Zirconia with TiCH plating, of TiN (gold).

The TiCH frames will hold up well in saltwater also.

Tom S. Brown
Pacific Bay International

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 10:41PM

i use them myself and love them. I love the look and their flexibility is perfect I think. I'm not sure I'd want to use them on a salt rod, but then again, I don't build salt rods so what do I know?

For inshore stuff, I really like them.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 05:52AM

I used the model N guides for stripper guides on my last 2 fly rods,a 8ft 0wt Sage SLT and a 8ft 4wt Scott G.The 0wt SLT got a TiGold ringed light TiCH frame,while the 4wt G got a SIC ringed bright chrome frame.Both rods were matched with Snake Brand chrome snakes.

IMHO these are the PERFECT stripper guides for light fly rods,especially if you are using snake guides as well.The model N guides look FANTASTIC(with snakes especially) and the lower weight is always a nice thing,especially on something like a 0wt blank.Also,I really liked being able to vary the frame finish and ring color(I really love the gold rings) to add a little extra cosmetic appeal.

I definitely plan on using these again.In fact,these will probably be the only stripper guides I will use now on the lighter(4wt and under) rods.The only thing I didn't like was that I found that when finishing off my guide wrap,I would have to be very careful when packing my thread at the end,otherwise it could easily slip off the guide foot(because each guide foot only has one upper leg,there is nothing to butt your thread up against on one side,or stop it from sliding off).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster