I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is this for me
Posted by: Greg Rodzevik (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 11:27PM

I am 14 years old and am getting board and winter is not even close to ending. I have always had an interest in building my own rods but was not sure of the steps and how much money it would cost me. I am looking to build a seven foot Ml action rod for topwater poppers. If you could tell me what i would need and how much it would cost it would be greatly appreciated. i do not have alot of money and a just dumped a lot of money into pouring soft plastics so it is going to have to be reasonably priced. i am not looking for top of the line i just want to build one to see what it is like. Also i dont want an expensive blank because i am probably gonna screw up. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this for me
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 11:38PM

Greg,
I built my first rod when I was your age out of a cheap Netcraft kit that my granduncle hooked me up with. I cherish that rod to this day and will put it up against many high line setups.

You can build an excellent rod for not a lot of cash. If I were you, I would get in contact with some of the sponsors here and see what they will offer you in terms of a basement kit. Many offer great deals and they know what they are doing.

Date: December 29, 2004 08:49AM

What tools will i need to start out, and how much will they run me, i see things such as spine finders and stensoiners(s/p?) are they necessary.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 09:34AM

First thing you should get is Tom Kirkman's book. Some of the sponsors carry it. About 12 bucks.

Then rollers or V-blocks to hold the rod. You can get a simple roller setup with thread tensioner (what I use) for about $25, a premade wood v-block setup with tensioner for about $40, or use a couple of small cardboard boxes with V-s cut in them and run the thread through a book for a tensioner.

I've never used a spine finder, just do it by hand, so it isn't neccessary, but may be easier on heavier rods.

Then you just have to get a rod blank, grip/reelseat setup, guides, thread and finish material. Some of the sponsors here can set you up with a good quality kit for not much cash.

You can go as simple and inexpensive as you want, or as elaborate and pricey as you want. But there isn't too much that is required to do a rod. As you start building more and more, which you probably will, you may start wanting some of the cooler gadgets.

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: December 29, 2004 09:41AM

Dude,

Let's look at the cheap way first, then you can move up the ladder if the hobby suits you.

I'ld first go to the Mudhole website (link on Left) and order their free catalog. It has basic rod building w/ the mimimal expense. Build a few cheap rods ($10 blank, $10 guides) and get the hang of it.

The Mudhole catalog shows how to make a wrapper out of a cardboard box, a thread tension adjuster out of a big book, and hand turning epoxy finishes.

Then if the hobby fits you, ask everyone to pool their xmas and b-day funds for rod building stuff. Get one item at a time.

Remember though, when it comes time to buy supplies, support the companies that got you started for free.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 09:48AM

Greg... here's my advice.

Get the Mudhole Tackle catalog. There's enough instructional information on the first several pages to get you started building a rod.

You can get by with the following equipment & supplies if you want to build a couple rods to see how you like it.

- a thread bobbin ($5)
- a burnishing tool ($2)
- a 1 Tablespoon size stainless steel measuring cup/spoon for mixing epoxy ($2) (can be cleaned and re-used)
- a pack of disposable artist brushes ($2-3)
- a 2 oz. rod finish kit... I'd recommend U-40 Dura Gloss LS Supreme. ($9.00)
- A bottle of Gudebrod color preserver (optional $2).
- A 4 oz kit of U-40 Rod Bond for gluing up grips and reel seats. ($8)
- Some denatured alcohol (for cleanup) (a few bucks).

You can make a very basic rod stand by cutting a couple of notches in a cardboard box so you can lay the rod across the notches and turn the rod by hand to wrap it. If you want to work with wood, you can make a hand rod wrapper like you see in the catalog quite easily, using felt or moleskin to line the supports so you can turn the rod easily.

You can make a cork ring clamp easily and cheaply with a couple pieces of wood, some threaded rod, and a couple wing nuts.

Once you build a couple rods (and get hooked), then you can save up for things like a manual rod wrapper and a drying motor and endless other pieces of equipment.

Good luck... Erik

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 01:33PM

MudHole is a great place to look but I'd also give Neal a call at neals fishing products (sponsor) and talk to him. He can surely set you up within your budget. Good luck.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 29, 2004 01:42PM

Dear Greg ROD-zevik: "Is this for me?" Just look at your last name.
It sounds like ROD-building was in your blood-line before you were born ! Greg, I think you're gonna love it. Just research the subject, like the guys have recommended and come back to RBO for more guidance.

But don't neglect your school work to do rod-building. So, instead of squandering time or money on some fleeting thing and have nothing to show for it, devise a plan for a rod you want to build and how you can budget your time and money to get what you want. That's how you'll know if your ambition & desires are on par with one another. To borrow from an old song, "You can't always get what you want, ... but if you try sometimes, you get what you need." RodBuilding.Org will be here to help you thru. Happy New Year, kid. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

P.S. - If you tell us more about your fishing style and how you want to use this rod, we can help with the hardest part, which is selecting a blank. You said you want to build a 7' Medium-Light Power Rod for Top-Water Poppers. Any other kind of plugs do you want to throw with it? How much do they weigh? How far do you have to throw it? And how big are these fish (large-mouth bass?) you are hoping to catch? Is a 1-piece rod okay, or do yu need a 2-piece? Is a 7-foot rod really necessary, or might a 6' or 6'6" rod also be okay?

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.163.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 02:12PM

the cost shouldn't be too prohibitive. erik offers a good list but you could save more by using foil for mixing your epoxy (i use flex coat high build in a kit which came with syringes... $9-$12?). i'm on rod #3 and have never needed a thread bobbin. don't worry about a burnishing tool. i use my fingernail. if you need a "tool", use the end of a plastic utensil! ;-) i don't use color preserver, so you save a few bucks there until you need a different look than the darkened threads without CP.

personally, i went out of my way to buy a separate extendable threading stand for about $25-$30 on @#$%&, homemade, looks like it but it works. a box with V shaped notches is even cheaper used with a phone book for thread tension. i also bought a 6rpm dryer with stands for about $25, also from @#$%&, also homemade but looks a little nicer than the threading setup i bought.

i build fly rods. i bought some mesh drywall tape from my home depot, about $8 (?) for building up space between the wood inserts and blank. i also have single sided razor blades, cheap but good brushes for applying epoxy, some whiteout for marking the spine during the process, and a set of tapered reamers of slightly different sizes with foam handles for reaming out the cork handles (about $15 on @#$%&).

for gluing up the components, use ROD BOND. it almost should be a standard rule since i keep running into people reporting problems using epoxy of some sort. despite the monopolistic shadings, i think everyone should save themselves some headaches and just use U40's Rod Bond. ;-)

mudhle's catalog is very nice, but i imagine you can find all the info you need to get started by surfing the internet, particularly this site's library, but definitely get a good book like tom kirkman's or a video/dvd.

have fun!

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: John Dow (---.235.252.64.snet.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 06:52PM

Greg , read the FAQs , glossary , and the library on the top of this page for some help on the terms used . It realy helps alot when you know what you are reading in the posts when you will be looking for advice . I think a call to Neal , or mudhole will be the best place to start as others have mentioned .Some of the kits offered on other sites come with all of the glues and epoxies you will need to get the first project under your belt . I used the cardboard box and book for my first rod , then built a wooden wrapper out of plywood kicking around the house .
Good luck , piece of cake , just read and ask. John

Date: December 30, 2004 12:23PM

All i have to say is WOW, i cant believe how helpful each and everyone on this board is. As for my fishing style, i like to fish 1/4-1/8 ounce poppers. I fish from both shore and boats, the reason for the 7foot ml is i like to make long casts which i feel are a big advantage when fishing topwater, i like to stay as far away as possible from my target. I plan on putting a shimano stradic the 4,6,8 line size one not sure of the model. Thanks again for all your help and support.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster