I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metal Leafing
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 08:23PM

I've been wanting to try this out for a while and finally got around to it. I think I found another addiction. I did a reel seat with the Mona Lisa brand of multicolor metal flakes from Michaels. It has a very interesting and unique look to it and I'm already planning a buttwrap and maybe even guide wraps with this method, and trying some other types of metal "foil" that I picked up.

If you are looking to try something new, it isn't hard to do.

I've tried a few times to submit a pic to the photo page but something doesn't seem to be working. When I hit "submit" it takes me straight to the home page.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metal Leafing
Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 08:50PM

I'm not totally sure I understand what this material is like. I found some "inlace" at a local wood working store and it's like polished stones, very small, and you can inlay it into grips and seat inserts. But it's way too big to go into finish. You have to inlet a groove or pocket into whatever you want to inlay it into.

How are using this stuff you found and what exactly is it? Can you use it in a surface finish on the wraps, like the old sparkle that Flex Coat used to sell?

Date: December 28, 2004 09:23PM

Danny, it's not glitter. Think of gold leafing. Gold leaf is sheets of extremelty thin gold foil.

What I used is a bag of large flakes of gold, silver, copper, red and blue "foils". The size ranges from maybe 1/4" square to 1" square, all different shapes. You'll probably only find this in a good craft store. You put on an adhesive, wait a bit for it to be tacky, and start applying the flakes. When all covered, you burnish and clean up the excess and you have a flat surface, completely covered with the metal.

For a better idea, you can try here:

[www.houstonart.com]

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 11:08PM

Hey Mick,

That stuff looks like it has real possibilities. I was just next to a Michaels Craft store tonight. If I would have read your post I might be trying it right now. Hope to see a pic as soon as you can get one up. New things are fun to experiment with.
Have fun,
Ron

Posted by: Terry Marx (---.lvdi.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 12:49AM

I've started a heavy SW trolling rod with the tri clr leaf butt "wrap(?)". I was a little worrried that the sizing used to stick down the leaf might fisheye my finish so instead of being smart and doing a test I figured to use varnish over the leaf.
What did you use for a finish?
Got sidetracked by other projects so this is one of a few ideas stood up in the corner waiting to finish.
By the way, This is a real simple and somewhat striking look. Sure not to be to everyones taste, but then what is?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 29, 2004 03:40AM

Mick another good excuse to take a couple of bits off that new furnace and hock them for a new camera.

Myles

Date: December 29, 2004 09:40AM

Terry,
I was more worried about finish eating the sizing so I coated it all with CP then used LS Supreme over that. I need to experiment with it more to see if permagloss lifts any of the metal.

Myles, very true! The pics don't do it justice. I just can't load anything at all into the photo page. I don't know if they are having a glitch or something.

Ron, you'll have fun with this stuff. I'm already turning into Putter. I would have gold leafed the cat if it woulda sat still long enough! I'm looking at my monitor right now thinking that it needs to be shiny!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 03:37PM

Don't blame your silly addictions on me, St. Mick!! You could download one of those pictures into my email and I'd have my Christmas complete, though :)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.70.87.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 04:18PM

That was very popular for custom paint jobs on cars and bikes in the 50's and 60's. Still done today. Stop in any auto paint supplier and see all the goodies they have for paints like metallic flacks. Another thing was spider webing done with welding torch
More ideas is to pick up a custom car magazine and look at some of the paint jobs done

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster