I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Unusual Site
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ev1servers.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 07:45PM

I've been building rods for about 6 years now. Last year I began watching some of the internet rod building webboards for information and ideas. I have lurked on this one from time to time along with others.

For some reason not until today did I notice the row of black and red buttons along the top of this forum window. I've spent the last 4 hours going through everything in those button windows. To say I'm amazed at the information here would be an understatement. I don't know how you can put a price on it but there has to be several hundred or even several thousands of dollars of free information in the faqs, glossary,and library sections of this site. I am really surprised and find it very unusual to find this kind of free info available. Yesterday I was trying to find an older article on the Boston newspaper website and once I found it I was informed by a computer prompt that I would have to pay $2.95 by credit card if I wanted to read the rest of the article. This seems to be the norm for most information type sites. Everybody has their hand out for a buck.

Sorry to ramble, but I felt led to register and say that I think this is really an unusual but terrific place for rod building information. The information on the messages and in the archives is also among the best I have found. Thanks to all who contribute and to the owners of this site. You have a really terrific thing going here. I just can't say enough about it.

There are a few free informational sites on the internet that have a button you can click and use your credit card to leave a donation in whatever amount you want. You might consider it if you need funding. I almost feel like I'm stealing to come here and benefit so much and not pay something for what I'm taking away. Thanks again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unusual Site
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 07:55PM

Artie: No way would I be building rods today if it were not for this site. I first posted three years ago trying to find out how to replace a guide, I was actually looking for someone to do it for me. Got the info to do it myself, etc., etc. Since then, no going back.

Posted by: Ray Jorgensen (---.longlines.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 08:03PM

This site has also helped me get into this. You will find a very willing group of individuals who will share willing here. Feel free to ask any and all questions.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2004 08:09PM

We have a good situation here. Although this site ends up being more expensive to maintain, host and operate than most realize, the sponsor fees generate enough funds to keep things in place. You benefit from the site information and features, and the sponsors benefit(hopefully) when you patronize them with your rod building supply dollars.

Comparitively speaking, rod building is a small craft and I don't like the idea of constantly hitting up people and companies for money or donations. And I would rather not get involved (and will not accept) monetary donations from the builders and users of this site.

Your comments are appreciated. Feel free to take anything you want away from this site. It was created so builders like yourself could obtain helpful information without having to pay for it. (There is additional information available for a fee, of course, and some of it is extremely good, but not every builder wants to subscribe to a magazine or attend a rod building event. So, here is the alternative. Enjoy.)

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 09:00PM

Artie, I know how you feel. I've gotten so much out of this site and have contributed so little that sometimes I feel like a total mooch.

My thanks again to Tom for what he is doing, and to everyone else who posts. I've learned things from new builders that made me smack my head wondering why I didn't think of this, or why I didn't know that. I've learned things from the big dawgs that I still don't have the guts or time to attempt. I love it all!

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 09:44PM

I wouldn't know 1/4 of what I do now if it wasn't for this board and RodMaker Magazine. It's comforting knowing that you don't have to venture in blind, fearful or without understanding something fully. I think we all owe a debt of gratitude in one form or another to this site, each other and of course, Tom Kirkman.
Ray

Posted by: Ray Jorgensen (---.longlines.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 10:53PM

Another thing you will notice with this site vs. some others I frequent is the results you can get by using the search function. To many BB's the search function is useless, but not here!!!

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 10:55PM

Ditto to all of the above responses!! This site has gotten me through some (all) of the problems I have encountered in this insane but very satisfying hobby.
Murf

Posted by: Adam Rossiter (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 11:34PM

I will be starting my first rod this weekend. I can't tell you how many hours I have spent reading the posts on this site. it is great to find so many people with the know how and eagerness to share it.

Adam Rossiter

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.211.217.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 01:32AM

i applaud tom too, as many do, for offering this site. i also feel a bit like a moocher but am thankful this site exists. i hope that the recent slight increase in rodmaker magazine as well as the sponsor rates provide a little extra for tom and his family for all the work he does. i imagine it can be a huge sacrifice in ways.

also, everyone who posts here, freely offering help and comraderie to others in this pursuit of ours should be applauded as well. the community and help, generated here is no small thing.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2004 08:59AM

Eric,

Thanks for the kind words. I don't take any salary for my work on RodMaker or this site. (If I did, I'd have to charge a lot more!)

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: December 29, 2004 09:46AM

Excellent resoarce for an eclectic hobby.

Before visiting RB.org, never realized so many were into rod building as a hobby or a profession.

Surf the pix, some of the stuff goes beyond fishing to art masterpieces.

Thanx Tom!

Posted by: John Kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 04:28PM

I think this site is great. I only wish I had found it before I built my first rod. I know I could have saved myself a lot of grief and anxiety over ordering components. It is nice to get a "little hand holding" when you run into a problem instead of pannicking like I have on occassion. I guess the site can be a surrogate rod builders' mom. thanks

john kepka

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 05:26PM

I've learned 90% of what I know about building here. I muddled around for years and one day I stumbled in here and it was a whole new world!!!
As addictive is this site is, it should come with a warning label!!! Between this site, rodmaker and the instant knowledge available from the great user of this site, what else could you possibly need??

Hat's off to Tom K. who makes it all possible!

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster