I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing a Sanded Blank
Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: December 27, 2004 04:05PM

I need to know if it's ok to finish a sanded, unfinished blank with spray-on urethane or varnish. I understand there's a method that involves a 50/50 mix of urethane and mineral spirits where you dip the rod in a dip tube full of the concoction, but it seems like a big mess/waste to me. Would the spray varnish do a poor job? Would it stand up to the test of time?

I've found a spray varnish from Olympus that has UV protection and is supposed to be flexible enough to withstand the typical shrink and swell of outdoor wood with the seasons without flaking or cracking. This leads me to believe that perhaps other spray varnishes would crack or flake with the bend of the rod, but perhaps this one wouldn't. Is this ok to use or should I just make a dip tank out of PVC and fill it with the 50/50 finish mix?

Jackie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing a Sanded Blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2004 05:05PM

First off, read the online library article here on refinish rod blanks. I think that will get you off on the right foot.

You may find the easiest way to coat your blank will be to wipe the finish on with a piece of cheesecloth or coffee filter wetted with a clear gloss exterior urethane. Or, the U-40 PermaGloss urethane. Two coats an hour or so apart are usually enough. Just one or two quick wipes down the entire length of the blank per coat, should do it.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.jvl.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 27, 2004 09:50PM

I've experimented with using flex-coat highbuild for this purpose and found great results. Put on a latex glove that comes in a box with no powder. The silicon powder or whatever it is causes problems. Wet the fingers of your gloved hand with the flex coat and squeeze the epoxy into the blank all the way down making the movement from tip to butt as smoothly as possible. You will have some bubbles, but a lighter will remove those easily. Of course, be careful with flames around any epoxies lest you create more bubbles or worse yet (like one beginner I knew) set something on fire! This is jsut another option. Definitely not the option of options, but a good one for ease of use.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2004 10:11PM

Flex Coat epoxy finish is a casting resin, it is not intended as a blank finish nor will it adhere to the blank surface with the same tenacity that a good urethane finish will.

I realize that some people do use epoxies to finish blanks with, but it is among the very worst products you can use for that purpose. It does not "wet" the surface sufficiently to create a good bond and even in thin applications it is far heavier than products designed to be used as a finish coating.

If you must use an epoxy, look into the epoxy paints sold by the folks at Klass Kote. Their link is to the left.

Date: December 28, 2004 08:33AM

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.msn.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 03:40PM

Jackie,I just finished a Wright McGill fiberglass rod that I had sanded. I wrapped a 2in.sq.Piece of foam paint brush with a piece of coffee filter and used two coats of Perma Gloss.It turned out great.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 07:13AM

I have had success with both spray on urathane and high quality satin finish spray paint. I have not seen any problems yet. If you use the cheapo stuff you get cheapo results.

With either application, 2 or 3 thin coats work better than 1 thick one. If one sands the ridges off of those cheaper unsanded blanks, and then paints or urathanes them, they make for a very nice finished product. My wifes brother inlaw wanted a pink walleye rod for his daughter inlaw for a gift for christmas and that just fit the bill. You should have seen his face when I handed to him.

Date: December 29, 2004 08:59AM

Scott,

Can you recommend a specific product that you've had the best results with? How long ago did you first start trying this method? Just asking for the purpose of durability. The rod I have to put a finish on is a freshwater spinning rod, so that might give me a little more leeway than someone working with a saltwater rod.

Thanks,
Jackie

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: December 29, 2004 01:37PM

I have used minwax exterior grade urathane and rustoleum spray paint exterior for like railings and furniture and such.

I have one walleye rod that I have been using for over a year and that is looking good still and I did a flyrod about 10 years ago with spray urathane that is still good.

Most rod manufacturers sand and paint the blanks and I think any durable high quaulity finish should stand up well. The prep work on the blank will need to be impeccable though, just like and other pre finish work. If there is grease oil or anything like that it just ain't gonna look good.

Date: December 29, 2004 02:38PM

Wiping it down with alcohol should take care of any grease and junk, right?

~Jackie

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 08:51PM

That and make sure your hands are clean, sweaty, oily hands will leave spots that the finish just won't stick to very well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster