I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How do I make a fly blank into a spinning rod?
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: December 28, 2004 10:31AM

It's hard not to want to give a detailed description sometimes, but Mike has your best answer. Laying out the spacing and sizing for a spinning rod is covered very well in the FAQ's. Those that set up that way are rarely going to switch back to any other method.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Daren Howard (---.sbc.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 04:08PM

Actually, I think what everybody has forgotten here is that this rod will be built for somebody other than the builder. For this reason I think you really need to consider alot more than you are right now. First, what length rod is he looking for? If he is looking for an all around rod then I doubt he is going to want a 9' rod. Second, what size and type lures and what size line does he plan to use? An all around bass rod for Florida and California is likely going to be very different from an all around bass rod for Wisconsin and I would really doubt a fly rod blank will be ideal for somebody who plans on pitching into heavy cover for large fish. Third, what action does the customer prefer? Does he want a fast action rod? If so even the fastest fly rod is likely going to seem to slow for him.

Basically, if you build this using a fly rod blank he may very well be completely dissatisfied even if it is built on a Fenwick blank. Make sure the customer knows what you are building for him before you purchase all the components. Otherwise you are taking a mighty big chance. He might be more willing to consider a different brand blank rather than a Fenwick fly blank.

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 04:12PM

Well put. I hadn't thought of it in that light.

In my case, everyone I have built this type of rod for was well aware of what it was going to be like because most of them had either fished one of my Demo's or been with someone that already had one of my rods and seen it in person.

This wouldn't be the type of rod to "surprise" someone with that is used to conventional designs. It could work out, but who wants to be surprised by an unhappy customer. Hopefully he has talked to his customer about this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2004 04:14PM by Andrew Petroski.

Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 04:39PM

I've already decided to build one of these for myself, but not for the Fenwick fan. Depending on what he wants to do I'm going to either get a closeout Fenwick from Neal's Fishing Products (sponsor), or try to point him to another manufacturer. I think St. Croix is a nice rod, or Neal has suggested a Rainshadow or Lamiglas. I have no experience with the Rainshadow or Lamiglas - opinions? Are these comparable to the Fenwick my friend was looking for?

On the other hand, the concept of a spinning rod from a fly blank is really cool and I'll put one together for myself just for fun.

~Jackie

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 04:47PM

I've done them out of RainShadow, St. Croix, and Hook and Hackle among others. They have all come out real well and fished great. I'd go with a 6wt for your first one and then decide if you want to go lighter.

Pretty much a decision based on color. Dark green, Brown, or Dark Blue.

I didn't see the Rainshadow fly blanks in Neal's catalog but if he can get them I'd go with that, wouldn't be a bad one to start with.

Posted by: Joe Doyle (167.3.57.---)
Date: March 29, 2005 08:26AM

Jackie, did you ever build this rod? If so, how did it turn out? I found an article in the January issue of Saltwater Sportsman about this same issue, and then I went searching some more, and found a few more articles on the Florida Sportsmen website. They were all written by Capt. Fred Everson. He seems to use these kind of rods all of the time for snook and redfish in the Tampa area.

I'm thinking of building this kind of rod, using a Forecast 9' 9wt, and cutting a few inches off of the tip and the butt. The Forecast is listed as a fast action rod, but I will check it out on the Superbob site before I make the purchase. Also, someone said that they started with a size 25 stripper, and moved down until a size 8 tip. The article that I read said to start with a size 16 stripper in order to aleviate some of the line slap on the blank. Does anyone have any opinions on that?

Good subject.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster