I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinner Maker Recommendations
Posted by: R. Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 05:11PM

I'm looking for recommendations for a tool to make and reconstruct closed-loop wire-shaft spinning lures. I have done a bit of research, but the information in the catalogs and on the net,is sketchy. I don't think I need something as advanced as the Hagen Pro Wire Former, but if the consensus says to go with that, then I would give it serious consideration. If anyone could point me to a site that features spinning lure construction, I would be greatful.
Thanks in advance. Patrick Vernacchio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinner Maker Recommendations
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 05:23PM

Here ya go!! Jann's Netcraft has a super tool that I have been using for a lot of years. Comes with a book full of projects

[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

I just mounted mine on a little piece of wood and clamp it to a TV tray and whip up all sorts of stuff while I watch TV

Mike

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 08:58PM

Patrick,

You can't gp wrong with the Hagen's Professional Wire Former. I went thru most of the other before getting the Hagen's Professional Wire Former. I bend 1/16 stainless steel wire almost everyday and it handles it with no problem. It covers most wire you'll ever want to bend.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 09:16PM

Check with the folks at www.tackleunderground.com
Ray

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 09:26PM

Forgot my full name on previous post.

Here's another wire formerfrom Jann's I've been using for 10 years to make regular and inline spinner baits. Only draw back is the wire size limitataion but it has worked for all the freshwater baits I have needed.

www.jannsnetcraft.com/Items.aspx?search=wire+bender&x=6&y=12

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 27, 2004 04:36AM

Mike, Ray sounds like I should get one of these things from Jann's to keep me busy on the night shifts at work.

Myles

Posted by: Frank Howard (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: December 27, 2004 08:00AM

Patrick,

Take a look at the Tackle Master made in Vancouver WA. Simple to use and very versitile.They also have a web site which I believe is tacklemaster.com. Not a pricey as Hagens, but unless you are going into mass production a bit more portable and I find it handy to use even on the boat. Take a look at their web site. I believe Cabelas sells them and maybe Janns. as well their own list of distributors on their site.

Tight Wraps, or Wire in this case.

Frank Howard

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: December 27, 2004 10:06AM

MorTac also has a good demo for spinner making and a tool for doing so. They have an excellent line of spinner components that work out here in steelhead and salmon land. I have a tool but could never get it to work as well as a pair of blunt nose needlenose pliers.

Posted by: don jarrett (---.co.us.ibm.com)
Date: December 27, 2004 11:23AM

I agree with Grant, I have a fancy spinner tool and never could figure it out. I use "round jaw" needle nose pliers and get excellent results. The only slow part is waiting for a new order of blades and wire to arrive.

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 27, 2004 02:15PM

The tackleunderground site has a forum like this one, and you'll find experts as well as beginners there. They even have a "home grown tool" section that may be of interest to those who build lures. You may be able to pick up some more ideas of what and where to buy as well. They are nice folks. I've sent a bunch of them here for their rod questions. It's nice to have someplace to turn for advice. They've been helpful with ice fishing lures for me. We don't get much in the way of tackle here in Central New York so I check with the guys in WI and MN via TU and have learned a lot, made good connections and friends.
Ray

Posted by: Dan Miller (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: December 27, 2004 11:27PM

Patrick,

You do want the Hagens wire forming tool. I have used them all and for many reasons, no other tool does quite the job of the Hagens setup. It makes great, neat, compact loops and will not hurt or gouge the wire as some other tools do. It can also handle the big wire, which can be real handy. Spend the money and never look back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster