I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which rod wrapper is best for me?
Posted by: David Horrocks (---.132.252.64.snet.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 10:34AM

Hello,
My question is a multi-part question that deals with a rod wrapper that should be easy to set-up, use, and also insure me of a quality investment. First about myself; I am a beginner in the art of rod wrapping who hasn’t touched a blank as of yet, but I'm excited to start. With all the hobbies that interest me once I start something I stick with it. Because of this I am in search of the necessary input from you experienced wrappers regarding the tools I should consider buying. Would anyone tell me what they feel is the best rod wrapper is for the money and explain why you feel this way?

Many Thanks and I hope to have my first rods photo in the gallery someday soon!!!

First I have to thank you for your replies. I have noticed that depending upon the type of rod I intend on building, that will determine the equipment I need to purchase. I will be building single piece and multi piece blanks which will be used in both salt and fresh water. I intend on building casting, spinning, and fly rods of all various weights and sizes. I don’t have any intensions on building a rod over #50 since I have no need for one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2004 01:25PM by David Horrocks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which rod wrapper is best for me?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2004 10:44AM

I don't think there are any bad wrapping units on the market. But I think I would tend to steer a beginner to something very simple and inexpensive to start with. My reasoning is that you won't really know what features you desire in a wrapper or lathe until you've built a few rods and determine what types you'll be building and what types of handle, grip or seat work you'll be involved with.

Buying a Renzetti or Custom Power Wrap machine will be great overkill if you end up only building ice rods from preformed components. Likewise, if you purchase a more simple wrapper and then find that you really do want to get into high speed underwraps, cork and EVA turning/shaping, etc., then you'll find that you'll need to upgrade and have perhaps wasted money on the initial machine.

Get yourself one of the very basic Flex Coat hand wrappers or make one yourself out of simple V-blocks and go to work. After a few rods you'll know better where your interests lie and can then make a more educated decision on the best machine for you and your particular needs.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 11:30AM

I started with the netcraft screw/clamp on rollers and tensioner. It's what I still use. The setup may not be perfect, but it does that job that I need it to do.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 26, 2004 11:45AM

David - If you wish to see some nice plans for a well-designed manual jig:
RODBUILDING.ORG LIBRARY
The Easy To Build Rod Wrapping Jig By Greg Pennell
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Dennis Venutolo (---.org)
Date: December 26, 2004 12:03PM

The first wrapping machine I bought turned out to be near worthless. Those machines that do not connect the motor to the chuck via a belt-pulley system and instead drive right off the motor shaft will drive you batty. You cannot easily control speed and have almost no power or torque. You won't like it.

Think about one of the in-between machines like the American Tackle or Batson Power Wrapper. Better yet, if you can make it up to Charlotte for the big rod building show you can see these machines in person along with the Renzetti and Flex Coat machines. All shown by the people who actually make or import them. I don't think there is a better way to decide which machine is right for you than to compare them in a hands on fashion.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 12:38PM

You didn't mention what kind of rods you will be building. Personally, I would NOT invest in a power wrapper at this point. Their are many highly skilled builders that use home made or commercialy made hand wrappers (look at the Photo Page under equipment or just do a search here on wrappers). At this point, you really have no idea what features would be of use to you. A power wrapper will not affect the quality of your rod one way or the other. Instead of doing a guide wrap in 3 minutes you might do it in less than a minute and you can't do butt/pattern warps under power.

I'm not saying don't get one, I just suggesting that you might want to get a few rods under you belt and decide what features/if any would be best for YOU!

A power wrapper will not help you make a better rod although it migt make it a little faster/easier

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 01:07PM

Tom and Mike are giving you good advice; either buy an inexpensive wood hand wrapper or make one using photos and ideas available here and on the photo page's search feature.

Once you've built a few, you might want to upgrade. My upgrade is still laying under the bench, hasn't seen daylight in 10 years. I just like handwrapping better after 23 years of doing this.

Putter

Posted by: Nick Dazer (---.242.174.205.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 10:13PM

David, I have just finished my third rod using the simple home-made wrapper mentioned in Cliff Hall's post above. I have found it to be very functional and I think I built it in a couple of hours.

-Nick Dazer
Portland, Oregon

Posted by: richard patton (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 11:15PM

david
dont know how soon you will be in the market for that wrapper, stay tuned to Mud Hole Rod building supplies, they will soon carry what i consider to be the most easiest, user friendly rod wrapper on the market.wrapper is constructed out of 3/8" cast acrylic, with ball bearing rollers and a very unique sliding roller supports.
what makes the acrylic wrapper unique over "wooden" models is that it will not warp, wooden models do in damp basements, and any wood no matter where it is being used over a period of time has the tendency to twist, bow and completely not work like they should.
i am not saying there are not any "good" wooden wrappers, its just that acrylic has a better performance record.
the prototype i designed and built, i have been useing with no problems since 1984
so stayed tuned, mud hole will be carrying it soon, as well as many other one of a kind very unique rod building supplies and tools

Posted by: Scott Reed-Jann's Netcraft (65.173.219.---)
Date: December 27, 2004 04:49PM

David,
I always advise customers to start out with a hand wrapper. Our 500 rod wrap kit is a good way to get started. We also offer a Flexcoat hand wrapper. Give us a call or send an email if you have questions about either of these tools.
Scott Reed
Jann's Netcraft
www.jannsnetcraft.com
1-800-346-6590

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2004 07:27PM by Tom Kirkman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster