I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mug shots
Posted by: Ron Walter (---.fdl.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 07:18AM

It might be nice to have a section on the Photo Page for Mug shots. I for one would like to know what the people look like that I have been e-mailing and talking to and just to put a face with the incredible work that you guys do. I might even be able to recognize some of you when I get to Charlotte.

It might also be nice to post a picture of the author of the articles in RodMaker Magazine. Most newspapers have a little photo of the writer at the start of each article.

What do you guys think?
Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mug shots
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2004 09:45AM

Ron,

On the one hand, those are great ideas. On the other hand, I've never wanted this board to take on the atmosphere of a "club" or "clique" where new users would get the feeling that they're if they're not one of the "regulars" that they aren't really part of the "party."

I've watched many internet forums drop to this level and become a place where the same 5 or 6 people use the board as a sort of personal chat room, rarely dispensing any real information but instead using it to find out who was bringing the chips and beer to the next outing, or to kick their inside jokes back and forth. It may be fun for a few, but it's not healthy for any forum that wishes to serve as a good source of actual information. In fact, it's a death knell in most cases.

I know others may disagree, but there is a reason that this supposedly "cold" board receives ten times or more the traffic of any other rod building site. And one of those reasons is that newcomers feel good about asking questions and participating.

For the time being I'm going to nix the idea of having a personal photo section on the photo page. Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but in the long run it would reduce the usefulness of this site. I've had many people tell me that this site seems cold and impersonal, but in fact, that's exactly one of the reasons for its great success.

We'll have name tags available for the social gathering in Charlotte. You should be able to find about anyone here who happens to be in town for the show. And you'll always have their personal email addresses (or phone numbers via the directory page) if you want to correspond on a personal level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2004 09:52AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 10:09AM

And besides that who would want to see mug shots of me and Bill Stevens on the same day.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.fdl.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 11:07AM

I guess I never thought of it that way. As usual you have thought this through and I understand. I have never thought of this board as "Cold" however. Its one of the best things around. I have learned so much since the internet sites on rodbuilding have developed and grown over the past few years. I do look forward to meeting as many of the folks out there in rodbuilding land as I can.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 26, 2004 11:14AM

Maybe the option of posting a photograph, not here at RodBuilding.Org (RBO), but instead at TackleWorks.Org (TWO), would be worth considering, for those who may wish to do so. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 12:29PM

Just post a picture on the Photo Page, it doesn't need to have it's own section.
[www.fishingphotos.net]
[www.fishingphotos.net]

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 01:02PM

I caught a decent walleye this spring, had my friend snap a pic and posted it on the board. Billy & Mike B. sent me a photo of themselves; I'll be able to recognize them when we meet. I guess that I'll have to get the others from nametags.
I had three shirts embroidered with my name on them for Charlotte. Much better than a name tag!!

See you in Charlotte, Ron...

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 26, 2004 04:33PM

Hey Putter, Is your shirt a tie-died purple job, you wouldn't need to put your name on it, everyone would just know its you.

Myles

Date: December 26, 2004 05:15PM

Just blue jeans and regular ole shirts for prairie boy...
Didja get lucky for Christmas; maybe a ticket to Charlotte or something on that order, Myles??

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 26, 2004 10:44PM

Not yet, but my very generous father in-law has been located in the distruction in Phuket, Thialand after the tidal wave, they are both safe so there is still some hope of getting a ticket over there for Charlotte.

Myles

Date: December 27, 2004 12:01AM

That's good news; prayers answered-now keep your fingers crossed for the ticket!!!

Putter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster