I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Preparing guide feet
Posted by: Charlie Bagwell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 01:21PM

What is the best method for rounding off the guide feet prior to wrapping.A file?Kind?Sandpaper?Other?Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Preparing guide feet
Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: December 24, 2004 01:35PM

Charlie,
There are numerous ways to do it, but I use a Dremel tool.
Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 01:43PM

Ishape with a Dremel, but may use a file. Chain saw file works good on the bottom.

Mike

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 03:55PM

I use a 4" fine grit grinding wheel mounted on a standup drill press running at low speed. I do alot of guides this way.

Lou

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.harborside.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 05:01PM

Dremel tool.

If you don't have one....put it onl your last minute Christmas list. I ahve the rechargeable one....I'm amazed how often I use it. Very handy for all kinds of stuff....From buildiing flyrods to building golf clubs to around the house stuff.

Not very expensive, either. Mine is actually the Black & Decker Versapak. Basically the same thing as the Dremel...All the little tools for the Dremel fit mine.

$40 or something like that. Maybe $30...I forget.

Keith

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 24, 2004 05:29PM

The easiest way to is sand them on a sanding disc or belt. Takes only seconds. Use 100 grit discs or belts. You can also file them, but sanding is the very quickest way to do the job. In fact, be careful or you'll quickly remove the entire foot.

Posted by: Josh Martineau (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 06:05PM

I use a hook sharpening stone.

Posted by: Vance Corbett (---.frbgva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 06:53PM

Charlie... By golly, I guess I am the guy who answers "all of the above" on this question. I use a set of fine files to get the general shape and then do a final "polish" with the Dremel tool. I use a Dr. Slick porcelain hook sharpening stone to dress any burrs off the bottom of the guides. Best, Vance

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 07:19PM

I bought a very small table top grinder with two wheels. The wheels are fairly smooth. After the initial grinding, I use a wire wheel and finally a buffing wheel with jewelers rouge.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 09:47PM

On larger guides I use a dremel. Actually a two speed B&D Wizard/Versapak (on sale at Kmart for under $20 if I recall). I have a single speed Dremel that runs at something like Warp 9... way too fast for me on guides. Durn near melts the feet off in the blink of an eye. On smaller guides I use needle files. I've ruined too many little guides using a dremel because I'm not coordinated enough to do little stuff with power tools.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 25, 2004 02:17AM

I use a dremel copy, varible speed. And now use a diamond impregnated steel cut of wheel, no more exploding cut off disks. Great tip Ken P., you start saving money straight away, not so aggressive and seem to work quicker.

Myles

Posted by: Albert Tennant (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 25, 2004 09:59AM

Be sure to seal those freshly ground feet before mwrapping

Posted by: Rockin Yee (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 25, 2004 12:29PM

1) size 10 and smaller I use a file.

2) size 12 and larger a belt/disc sander and a file to get the final shape.

3) Sand all sizes with 220 emory and cleaned with alcohol before painting with matching color nail polish or car touch up paint.

4) Make sure guide feet are straight, aligned, and are able to stand on flat surface. Sometimes the guide ring can be perfectly aligned however you will encounter a problem with the guide foot not resting flat on the blank and any compenstion will result with a guide ring that is not perpendicular to the blank. Occasionally some guides from the factory are not perfect.

Examples: Look at the Fuji HNSG size 12 from a profile view you will notice the ring housing is tilted towards the front(on some runs). This maybe due to a tooling issue at the factory.

Manufacturers of PacBay/Amtak/Batson have similar issues with straightness. Probably tooling as well. I wonder if the chrome finish will peel if manipulated too much.

Posted by: Charles Tatton (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: December 25, 2004 06:51PM

Albert Tennant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be sure to seal those freshly ground feet before
> mwrapping

This is a great thread!

I've never sealed my guide feet. Should I be? What material and meathod do you use to seal them?

Also, when you use a sanding belt, grinding wheel, Dremmel tool or some other tool, do you hold the guide by hand or do you use some kind of device to hold the guide by the ring or one of the feet while you grind the other foot?

Many thanks.

CT

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 25, 2004 08:55PM

A lot of guys use a plastic bolt and nut that fits through the guide ring and then hold onto the end of the bolt. I've yet to try this; imagine that I will when the Alzheimer kicks out next time I'm in True Value!!!
I've never sealed the guide foot until after I wrap it-the rod finish does this for my needs (no salt water and I always use metallic threads).

Putter

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 12:24AM

Charles, I just use my fingers, unless they are really little guides, then I use some needlenose pliers with leather to protect the guides. Got tired of grinding skin.There is a neat little jig out there that holds guides for grinding, but I'm too cheap to get one.

How exactly do you seal a guide foot?

Posted by: Bill Currie (---.rag-american.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 10:24AM

Charlie,
I have had good luck with a Dremmel tool with the small sanding drum with 120 grit. Dremmel has come out with a polishing wheel that seems to be made of Scotchbright material that works great for removing burrs and final polishing.
Tight Lines & Happy wrapping
Bill Currie Custom Rods

Posted by: steve runyan (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 02:46PM

I like the dremel cutoff because i can hold the guide up to it, sanding with the bottom side. This gives me a great view of the guide as I shape it, to get a nice smooth transition to the blank.

steve

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 10:06PM

I also like the Dremel with diamond disk as Myles mentioned. The flexible shaft Dremel is what I use.

For small guides, the nylon bolts are real handy.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster