I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Bond winding check
Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 11:53AM

I've heard that some of you people are using rod bond with coloring to make winding checks. I'm currently building a no 4grip rod and instead of using 3 vinyl winding checks I would really appreciate it if smoeone could send me a pic of what a rod bond winding check looks like. I could always use a little more color in my rods. Thank you for any help, and have a merry Christmas. bryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Bond winding check
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ij.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 12:24PM

Check your email Bryan.

Tom Church

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 06:23PM

I tried rod bond but it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked. I have better luck with Flex Coat or other rod finish with color added. I just load up a spatula and apply it to the end of the rod grip and just build it up gently until I get the fill and angle that I want. Throw it on the dryer and let it turn until cured. I also angle the blank so it tilts toward the grip slightly. This prevents the finish from running down the rod.

I've noticed that the cure time seems to be much shorter when I add color to the Flex Coat.

Good luck.

Terry

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 06:58PM

Bryan,
If you will use the folowing proceedure you will end up with what appears to be a winding check that blends smoothly right into your decorative wrap.
Put a single winding check on the rod right up against the fore cork. Wrap with thread about 1/4'to 3/8" in front of the winding check, I usually use black thread which is the same color as the winding check. Then while the rod is turning and you are applying epoxy to the rod let your brush, or whatever you use as a guide epoxy applicator, touch about half way up the winding check. Then apply additional epoxy at the interface between the winding check and the rod until there is a smooth transition. When the epoxy sets up you will have what appears to be a winding check that goes from the cork to the decorative wrap in a smooth transition and appears to take on the color of the underlying thread wrap.

Posted by: Mike Nolan (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: December 25, 2004 10:26AM

Try five minute epoxy. It will be much easier to shape than Rod Bond and will set up much quicker than wrapping finish. I've never colored it but I don't know why that would make a difference....it might even extend the set-up time a little. You can heat it and clean it off if it gets away from you. You might want to practice on a scrap blank but once you do it one time it's very easy and looks great. Good luck.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.132.100.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 25, 2004 10:03PM

clear epoxy with a nice metallic underwrap similar to what emory suggested might look pretty cool. silver for a rod with nickel silver hardware? copper metallic thread for a rod with a warm toned wood insert? hmmmm. dang. i wish i had a workshop here and multitudes of rod components and blanks for tinkering...

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster