I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lighting...
Posted by: Greg Tucker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 01:25AM

Can some one recomend a good desk top lamp? Clamp on would be good. Or a type of bulb that helps?
Do any of the sponsors carry the Optivisor? and is 3x a good power? Overkill?
I thought my eyes were good till I started playing with thread...
Thanks in advance and have a Merry Christmas!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lighting...
Posted by: Frank Howard (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 07:18AM

Greg,

Take a look at Ott Lighting products. I use there "True Color" flouresent tubes which work great. Go to your local Joanne's Fabric Store as they carry them in all shapes and forms including floor and desk top lamps along with several different magnifier attachments. A valuable asset for old tired eyes. Ott also has a web site I believe. This is a trickle down from the resurgence in quilting. You can also pick up up your Sulkey Metalic thread while you are there.

Frank Howard

Posted by: Vance Corbett (---.mkisystems.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 07:30AM

Greg... I have two of the magnifier lamps that Cabelas sells for $60. Excellent quality (much better than the plastic versions sold by office supply stores and Home Depot for $15-$20). Made of heavy gauge metal with optical glass lenses and the clamping system is also heavy duty. They have a 22 watt flourescent circular bulb. Not a lot of wattage, of course, but the fact that you can focus the light right where you need it (plus the magnifier) really justifies the cost. I use mine for fly tying, leader tying, and rod building. My father has an Ott light (the floor lamp or "pole" version of the lamps Frank mentioned above) and it's wonderful. Best, Vance

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 08:34AM

The GE "Reveal" light bulbs are a nice second choice to the VERY expensive Ott light bulbs in desk lamps. They're what I use, along with a magnifying headband from Jann's.

Merry Christmas,
Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.171.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 08:53AM

I have the magnifier lamp for my work. There is a cheaper one I think from Grizzly?? Try a search of this board

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 24, 2004 08:55AM

RodMaker Volume 1 #5. Lighting for the rod shop.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.171.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 09:08AM

Also put Magnifier Lamp in your search engine. You will come up with a lot to campare prices

Posted by: Steve Biehler (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 09:29AM

I noticed Tom's response was to go to the library for an article about lighting. I visited the location, but wasn't able to access the article.

What am I missing? I didn't see instructions on how to open up the article I was interested in.

Thanks for your help.

Merry Christmas to all and thank God for fish!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 09:34AM

Like Putter - I use the "Reveal" 100 watt bulbs in clamp on desk lamps that I got from Office depot ($10.00 each). That plus the new flourescent lamps (also daylight T-8's) work absolute wonders for seeing the true color of wraps.

Posted by: Spencer Phippss (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 09:37AM

Steve,
Tom was referring to a back issue of RodMaker magazine, that can be ordered. A great article that I used when I put the lighting in my shop.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 11:11AM

Are the GE "Reveal" bulbs available at places like Home Depot or Lowe's?

Date: December 24, 2004 11:28AM

I got mine at WalMart, Gerry. Merry Christmas to you!!

Putter

Posted by: Greg Tucker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 06:24PM

Got a nice lamp and the reveal bulb for $20. Makes a huge difference. I may marbleize the base of lamp for practice. lol
thanks guys

Date: December 25, 2004 08:45PM

Get right after it, Greg! Merry Christmas!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster